Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrodialysis process (Nernst planck application mode in Comsol 3.3)

Chatchai Boonyarattanamongkhol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have some problems with this process. This process is about separation under electric field. For my case, NaCl solution is fed in the the channel applied electrical power then Na+ and Cl- will move through te membrane to the opposite charge. For this process we can separate Na+ or Cl- out of the initial solution.

There are 3 application used in this model; 1.Fluid dynamic (Navier Stoke) solution is fed in y-direction (convection) and diffusion+electromigration in x-direction 2.Electrostatic 3.Nernst Planck. Firstly, I run for the first two application modes it can run and show the good result but when I add the last mode, Nernst Planck that relates about mass electrotransfer (ion move under electric field), the result can't show.

For my question,

1. I suspect that the boundary condition and subdomain setting I used in Nernst-Planck mode is appropiate or not.
the detail is in the attached file.

2. If I would like to model this process in recirculation process, I will define the outlet concentration of the 1st loop as the inlet concentration of 2nd loop << Do I think in the right way? and if it's ok for this solution how can I define for this problem

The mph file is in the attachment.

Thank you everybody for your help
Chatchai

0 Replies Last Post 12 oct. 2010, 00:54 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Chatchai Boonyarattanamongkhol

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.