Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Piezoelectric damping and hysteresis modeling

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

I'm actually trying to model the expansion of a piezoelectric stack and describing its frequency behavior.

However, I do not know which structural damping type and losses types I have to choose and the value to give them. Is there a way to know which damping model fits the best ?
I'm taking the material characteristics of an industrial piezoceramic and the only loss factor which is given is the loss tangent tan?. In the chapter 4, p.144 of the Structural Mechanics Modeling of COMSOL, it is mentionned that this factor "has the same meaning than the loss factor". Does it mean that I can just replace the ?_s structural loss factor by the tan? value in the Subdomain settings>Damping>Structural damping>Loss factor ?

My second question concerns the hysteretic behavior of the piezoceramic. How can I can take this non-linear effect into account in my simulation ?

Thanks for your help :-)

Nicolas

4 Replies Last Post 14 sept. 2011, 14:47 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 nov. 2010, 05:59 UTC−4
Or does anyone know a good information source giving an analytic explanation of the hysteretic behavior of piezoelectric materials ?

Any information can help.

Thanks and have a nice day

Nicolas
Or does anyone know a good information source giving an analytic explanation of the hysteretic behavior of piezoelectric materials ? Any information can help. Thanks and have a nice day Nicolas

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 nov. 2010, 12:11 UTC−4
Hi

damping is one of the most delicate issues in dynamical structural amnalysis, what to choose !?

It depends on the material and the assembly method of your part. for PZT you have as well material, as local heating, electric current damping etc ... many to choose from ;)

As litterature on the use of PZT I can propose the excellent books of Pr. A. Preumont (Uni Liège) Spriner and Kluewer
or on the material itself such as "Electroceramics" A.J. Moulson J.M. Herbert, Wiley. or if you read French: "Matériaux Pièzoelectriques" M. Brissaud by PPUR.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi damping is one of the most delicate issues in dynamical structural amnalysis, what to choose !? It depends on the material and the assembly method of your part. for PZT you have as well material, as local heating, electric current damping etc ... many to choose from ;) As litterature on the use of PZT I can propose the excellent books of Pr. A. Preumont (Uni Liège) Spriner and Kluewer or on the material itself such as "Electroceramics" A.J. Moulson J.M. Herbert, Wiley. or if you read French: "Matériaux Pièzoelectriques" M. Brissaud by PPUR. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 nov. 2010, 12:51 UTC−4
Hi,

Indeed, I've seen that damping constituted a real issue when trying to model the deformation of piezoelectric materials and especially stacks.

I know that we have the last book you mentionned so I will take a closer look to it. For the others I will also try.

Many thanks for your help Ivar

Nicolas
Hi, Indeed, I've seen that damping constituted a real issue when trying to model the deformation of piezoelectric materials and especially stacks. I know that we have the last book you mentionned so I will take a closer look to it. For the others I will also try. Many thanks for your help Ivar Nicolas

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 sept. 2011, 14:47 UTC−4
Nicolas-

I realize this forum is quite old- hope you've resolved this issue. I am in a similar situation where I am modeling piezoelectric ceramic stacks but I am very new to comsol so I haven't fully implemented these things in practice.

So far, I've ignored the issue of damping within the ceramic completely since the ceramics I deal with are relatively lossless compared to other dissipation methods in my model (elastomers). However, if you need to model damping mechanisms for time dependent studies or whatever, note that the "loss tangent/dissipation constant/Q value" reported by most manufacters is an electrical measurement. Of course, in piezoelectric materials, electrical and mechanical domains are coupled so it is really a hybrid of both electrical and mechanical loss factors. This is different than the structural loss factor (eta) damping model in the structural analysis package. A closer estimation for structural loss factor, try to find if the manufacturer has a "Qm" value and take eta=1/Qm. This might be on the order of 0.0015 to 0.05 depending on your material. For reference, a thick sheet of aluminum typically has an eta of ~0.002. Again, this is an estimation depending on which direction your material is poled relative to the applied force.
Nicolas- I realize this forum is quite old- hope you've resolved this issue. I am in a similar situation where I am modeling piezoelectric ceramic stacks but I am very new to comsol so I haven't fully implemented these things in practice. So far, I've ignored the issue of damping within the ceramic completely since the ceramics I deal with are relatively lossless compared to other dissipation methods in my model (elastomers). However, if you need to model damping mechanisms for time dependent studies or whatever, note that the "loss tangent/dissipation constant/Q value" reported by most manufacters is an electrical measurement. Of course, in piezoelectric materials, electrical and mechanical domains are coupled so it is really a hybrid of both electrical and mechanical loss factors. This is different than the structural loss factor (eta) damping model in the structural analysis package. A closer estimation for structural loss factor, try to find if the manufacturer has a "Qm" value and take eta=1/Qm. This might be on the order of 0.0015 to 0.05 depending on your material. For reference, a thick sheet of aluminum typically has an eta of ~0.002. Again, this is an estimation depending on which direction your material is poled relative to the applied force.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.