Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

FLAME

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello!
SOmeone have some documents, model or knows how to simulate a flame in Comsol?
It is possible for example to simulate a methane burner?

7 Replies Last Post 23 avr. 2015, 03:48 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 déc. 2010, 10:47 UTC−5
Hi

I suppose it depends on thich physical properties you are after, in some sens it could be called a plasma, no ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I suppose it depends on thich physical properties you are after, in some sens it could be called a plasma, no ? -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 déc. 2010, 11:14 UTC−5
No noting related plasma.
I mean I have all the reaction and the species in Chemkin format, I have the geometry of the burner, but I am not able to couple the chemical reaction module with the CFD flow to plot the flame profile and the fluid flow near the flame!

No noting related plasma. I mean I have all the reaction and the species in Chemkin format, I have the geometry of the burner, but I am not able to couple the chemical reaction module with the CFD flow to plot the flame profile and the fluid flow near the flame!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 déc. 2010, 15:05 UTC−5
Hi

OK I see, I'm more a physicist than a chemist ;)
unfortunately I'm not used to these equation couplings, as I use the "chemistry" physics mainly for its (former) fluidics applications, so I cannot help much here

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi OK I see, I'm more a physicist than a chemist ;) unfortunately I'm not used to these equation couplings, as I use the "chemistry" physics mainly for its (former) fluidics applications, so I cannot help much here -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 févr. 2011, 07:53 UTC−5

No noting related plasma.
I mean I have all the reaction and the species in Chemkin format, I have the geometry of the burner, but I am not able to couple the chemical reaction module with the CFD flow to plot the flame profile and the fluid flow near the flame!

Hi !

Just wondered if you have found any solution to this ?

I have more or less the same problem, having all the kinetics and all the heat transfer equations, but cant find any way to connect them properly so that my chemical reactions follow my combustion/heat transfer results.

In my model there is no movement, it's a pure heat transfer in gas that causes chemical reactions within the gas to occur.

NE
[QUOTE] No noting related plasma. I mean I have all the reaction and the species in Chemkin format, I have the geometry of the burner, but I am not able to couple the chemical reaction module with the CFD flow to plot the flame profile and the fluid flow near the flame! [/QUOTE] Hi ! Just wondered if you have found any solution to this ? I have more or less the same problem, having all the kinetics and all the heat transfer equations, but cant find any way to connect them properly so that my chemical reactions follow my combustion/heat transfer results. In my model there is no movement, it's a pure heat transfer in gas that causes chemical reactions within the gas to occur. NE

Posted: 9 years ago 22 avr. 2015, 05:37 UTC−4
Hello,

Please has any one been able to simulate flame propagation in tube? I have done this experimentally but trying to see if it is possible to simulate the process in COMSOL. Any help is appreciated
Hello, Please has any one been able to simulate flame propagation in tube? I have done this experimentally but trying to see if it is possible to simulate the process in COMSOL. Any help is appreciated

Posted: 9 years ago 22 avr. 2015, 10:19 UTC−4
Like this?

www.comsol.com/story/multiphysics-analysis-of-a-burning-candle-14455

Like this? http://www.comsol.com/story/multiphysics-analysis-of-a-burning-candle-14455

Posted: 9 years ago 23 avr. 2015, 03:48 UTC−4
Thanks Daniel for the link, though it require me going for the training which for now I cannot afford to do the travel since am in the UK. Please if there is any other useful information, do kindly help me with.
Thanks Daniel for the link, though it require me going for the training which for now I cannot afford to do the travel since am in the UK. Please if there is any other useful information, do kindly help me with.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.