Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

BH-Curve in comsol 4.0

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

im trying to set up an quasistationary analysis of a coil with an iron core and would like to use the BH-curve of the build in material "soft iron without losses". For the part that will be of soft iron i use a seperate "amperes law" feature as for the rest of the model. Under "magnetic field" i use HB curve as the constitutive relation and for |H| i chose "from material". But the results look like the µr is constant?! Where's the mistake?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies Last Post 21 janv. 2011, 02:14 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 janv. 2011, 03:34 UTC−5
I have attached the model file, maybe this could be useful
I have attached the model file, maybe this could be useful

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 janv. 2011, 02:14 UTC−5
Hi

a few comments first:
I see you have nicely rounded off most corners (there is 1 missing) that is good it improves the precision as a straight corner in ACDC represents a singularity, But then why not push it to so you use a half a circle for the "air/vacuum" volume, as then the field lines loops around more regularly, and you can use simpler spherical infinite elements

Then you have chosen "MEF", do you really need to solve for "V" ? anyhow then you should also give some low conductivity to the air, otherwise your solver will have problems something like 1 to 1000 S/m will do, anyhow negligible w.r.t copper. And be sure you have a GND or corresponding somewhere for the V BC

Then for variable names, I always use "long names" as most single letters are already used by COMSOL and reusing an internal variable (without knowing it) gives often errors that are difficult to track. In your case with "f" I believe its OK anyhow.

You have a very dense mesh there, that's OK for a final run, but to debug, you can often use the default values of COMSOL

I still need some time to analyse the model better
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi a few comments first: I see you have nicely rounded off most corners (there is 1 missing) that is good it improves the precision as a straight corner in ACDC represents a singularity, But then why not push it to so you use a half a circle for the "air/vacuum" volume, as then the field lines loops around more regularly, and you can use simpler spherical infinite elements Then you have chosen "MEF", do you really need to solve for "V" ? anyhow then you should also give some low conductivity to the air, otherwise your solver will have problems something like 1 to 1000 S/m will do, anyhow negligible w.r.t copper. And be sure you have a GND or corresponding somewhere for the V BC Then for variable names, I always use "long names" as most single letters are already used by COMSOL and reusing an internal variable (without knowing it) gives often errors that are difficult to track. In your case with "f" I believe its OK anyhow. You have a very dense mesh there, that's OK for a final run, but to debug, you can often use the default values of COMSOL I still need some time to analyse the model better -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.