Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to create this geometry?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want simulate the melting of pure ice using the "heat transfer" and "moving mesh (ALE)" module.

the physical problem is as follows:
one dimensional space, 0<=x<=l, initially solid at temperature Tinit<Tm (Tm is the melting temperature of ice), the ice is melted by imposing a hot temperature Th>Tm at the point x=0 and keeping the other point , x=l, insulated. At each time t, liquid occupies (0, X(t)) and solid (X(t),l). The point x=X(t) represents the moving interface location that demarcating the liquid and solid space-time regions.

I want use the ALE method to track the moving interface. However, according to the physical problem above, initially (t=0) there is only one domain which is occupied by the solid (ice), at each time (t > 0), two domains are needed, one occupied by solid (ice) and the other occupied by liquid (water). So how should I create the geometries?

my current way is : create a line and a point (as the moving interface) assembly, the point overlap one endpoint of the line. problem occurs:
1) in the ALE settings, I want to set the mesh velocity of that point, but the point is not applicable.
2) how should I set the heat transfer for solid and liquid domains respectively, because there is only solid exists initially.

0 Replies Last Post 31 janv. 2011, 00:17 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Xiaoyi Yu

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.