Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Error when creating mesh on more than one part of a screw

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey all,

First off: I am completely new to Comsol. So please don't be too mad at me, if there is an obvious solution to what I am asking.

I am trying to create a mesh on a screw of a screw conveyor. I have an .mph file (attached) of the screw consisting of 22 parts (approx. one part per turn). After importing the file I both repair and convert the model to a Comsol Object. When trying to initialize the mesh, though, I get the following error message:

Exception:
com.femlab.jni.FlNativeException: An empty cavity was generated

Failed to insert point
- s1 value: 38
- s2 value: 3.05024e-007

Failed to generate mesh for face
- Face: 107

Stack trace:
at delaunaytri.cpp, row 586, ()
at delaunaytri.cpp, row 823, ()
at mesh3init.cpp, row 3868, ()
at com.femlab.mesh.Mesh.init(Native Method)
at com.femlab.mesh.Mesh.init(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.mesh.MeshInitRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.server.FlRunner.run(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.util.j.run(Unknown Source)
at com.femlab.util.ae.run(Unknown Source)

However, when deleting all but one screw part the mesh is created without complaint and the analysis carried out all smoothly. The error occurs whenever more than one screw part is to be processed. Merging the parts to one and deleting all inner boundaries didn't do the trick.

PS: I uploaded only two parts of the screw due to the file size limit. However this will do as a MWE. Processing both parts will result in the above-mentioned error. Using only one part won't.

I appreciate any help you can give.

All the best.

1 Reply Last Post 19 juin 2017, 08:18 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago 19 juin 2017, 08:18 UTC−4
Updated: 7 years ago 19 juin 2017, 08:30 UTC−4
I was trying to attach the screw .mphbin file but got a file extension error...

Edit: Nevermind. Seems to be an issue with Google Chrome.
I was trying to attach the screw .mphbin file but got a file extension error... Edit: Nevermind. Seems to be an issue with Google Chrome.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.