Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Geometry Creation and Union Function

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!
I am tryignt o create a model to simulate fluid flow in a pipe. The pipe have a number of twists and turns. I recreated the problem in COMSOL but my problem is that everytime I try to create a union is tells me 'Internal error in geometry decomposition'. All of the segments were created using the work place and revolve tools. The only problem I can think of is that the pipe diameters/segments aren't perfectly aligned. Any advice on how I can solve this problem without having to redo my entire model?
Cheers,
Melanie

3 Replies Last Post 1 mars 2011, 15:59 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 mars 2011, 11:02 UTC−5
Hi

you need a "clean" geometrical model, otherwise you will have problems with the mesh.

For complex CAD I prefer a dedicated tool like SolidWorks.

One way in COMSOL is to let the geometries penetrate and you make differences to cut them and obtain clean joints.

Then at the end you might form a or several unions (with or without) the internal boundaries. Note that if your domain is unique and loops around the mesher might have problems to find a solution. I often leave clean internal boundaries to allow me to better mesh be segments, manually. the nice thing is that in 4.1 you can rebuild and adapt your CAD and mesh generation rather easily

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you need a "clean" geometrical model, otherwise you will have problems with the mesh. For complex CAD I prefer a dedicated tool like SolidWorks. One way in COMSOL is to let the geometries penetrate and you make differences to cut them and obtain clean joints. Then at the end you might form a or several unions (with or without) the internal boundaries. Note that if your domain is unique and loops around the mesher might have problems to find a solution. I often leave clean internal boundaries to allow me to better mesh be segments, manually. the nice thing is that in 4.1 you can rebuild and adapt your CAD and mesh generation rather easily -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 mars 2011, 11:16 UTC−5
I just tried using the difference tool and it will not let me perform the operation. Once again the error is 'Internal error in geometry decomposition'.
Thanks for the help!
I just tried using the difference tool and it will not let me perform the operation. Once again the error is 'Internal error in geometry decomposition'. Thanks for the help!

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 1 mars 2011, 15:59 UTC−5
Hi

still one more thing to check, if your geoemtry is small (10um or less) you should check the relative repair tolerance of your geoemtry (w.r.t units used), and ensure it's at least 10 times smaller than the smallest feature you have, this might limit the sizes of resulting geometries and produce errors

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi still one more thing to check, if your geoemtry is small (10um or less) you should check the relative repair tolerance of your geoemtry (w.r.t units used), and ensure it's at least 10 times smaller than the smallest feature you have, this might limit the sizes of resulting geometries and produce errors -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.