Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Import of file .sldprt to COMSOL 4.0 on Mac OS

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I have to import a .sldprt file to COMSOL and I have an error message "This format is only supported on Windows."

How can I import the file of interest on my Mac because I have just this version?

Thank you,

Mélanie

5 Replies Last Post 26 févr. 2012, 02:56 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Melanie Brondel

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 janv. 2012, 19:21 UTC−5
Hi. I also am wondering about this. I know have COMSOL 4.2a. Does anyone know? Thanks
Hi. I also am wondering about this. I know have COMSOL 4.2a. Does anyone know? Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 janv. 2012, 20:20 UTC−5
if i am not mistaken, sldprt is belong to solidwork type format. You need to have solidwork and comsol interface module to import the file into comsol. double check it.
if i am not mistaken, sldprt is belong to solidwork type format. You need to have solidwork and comsol interface module to import the file into comsol. double check it.

Posted: 1 decade ago 19 janv. 2012, 20:25 UTC−5
Yes, I believe your right. I just did a little more digging, and found in the help file that solidworks and autocad files are supported in windows only. In order to get it to work on a mac, you need to export your part as either a .igs or a .step file
Yes, I believe your right. I just did a little more digging, and found in the help file that solidworks and autocad files are supported in windows only. In order to get it to work on a mac, you need to export your part as either a .igs or a .step file

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 févr. 2012, 14:14 UTC−5
You must save as *.x_t format in SolidWorks.
You must save as *.x_t format in SolidWorks.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 févr. 2012, 02:56 UTC−5
Hi

I do not believe you MUST have a Parasolid file forat, but it's even more reliable than the STEP ones.

From my understandig the way it goes:
*.SLPRT files are SW native format, but based on the PARASOLID CAD kernel, that by default uses *.X_T or *.X_B format, so these are very close. STEP, IGES etc are "standard" non vendor formats that do not have all functionalities of the specific CAD Kernel ones, IGES is far better for 2D than 3D for which I prefer STEP if no other are available. DXF is a AUTOCAD format that has become an more or less open standrd, but its mainly for 2D and many cases the "polyline" feature is not well implemented, the lines do not connect correctly, which leads to many errors and frustrations

You need the CAD interface to read the .x_t from my remebering, and the LiveLink to Solid works to read in the .slprt format. As I have both, I never remeber how it is exactly, so check carefully with your rep, and thereisa matrix somewhere on file format on the main web site of COMSOL.

Anyhow SW does only run on Windows, so te true Livelink, with variable exchange does only work with Windows for SW

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not believe you MUST have a Parasolid file forat, but it's even more reliable than the STEP ones. From my understandig the way it goes: *.SLPRT files are SW native format, but based on the PARASOLID CAD kernel, that by default uses *.X_T or *.X_B format, so these are very close. STEP, IGES etc are "standard" non vendor formats that do not have all functionalities of the specific CAD Kernel ones, IGES is far better for 2D than 3D for which I prefer STEP if no other are available. DXF is a AUTOCAD format that has become an more or less open standrd, but its mainly for 2D and many cases the "polyline" feature is not well implemented, the lines do not connect correctly, which leads to many errors and frustrations You need the CAD interface to read the .x_t from my remebering, and the LiveLink to Solid works to read in the .slprt format. As I have both, I never remeber how it is exactly, so check carefully with your rep, and thereisa matrix somewhere on file format on the main web site of COMSOL. Anyhow SW does only run on Windows, so te true Livelink, with variable exchange does only work with Windows for SW -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.