Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to simulate the process of laser overlapping deposition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, everyone.
I am a new user of COMSOL. Now, I want to simulate the temperature field of laser overlapping deposition. This is a additive process in which material is added continously. I don't know how to model the additive process.
I wish to get help here.

8 Replies Last Post 7 juin 2015, 05:48 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 15 mars 2011, 20:48 UTC−4
May be, I have not presented my question clearly. What puzzle me is how to build the model in which the materials is added continuously. In other word, how to increase the domain of laser-depostited part.
Thank you.
May be, I have not presented my question clearly. What puzzle me is how to build the model in which the materials is added continuously. In other word, how to increase the domain of laser-depostited part. Thank you.

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 mars 2011, 21:36 UTC−4
Dear Mr. Ivar, would you like to give some help to me?
Dear Mr. Ivar, would you like to give some help to me?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 mars 2011, 02:55 UTC−4
Hi

adding material (or changing the topology) is a tricky domain ;)

It's not easy to start with, almost a full time project by its own.
I would suggest that you look at the "level set method" or the optimisation examples. As there are ways to approach material adding or removal by playing with the local material properties and boolean functions on them

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi adding material (or changing the topology) is a tricky domain ;) It's not easy to start with, almost a full time project by its own. I would suggest that you look at the "level set method" or the optimisation examples. As there are ways to approach material adding or removal by playing with the local material properties and boolean functions on them -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 17 mars 2011, 21:10 UTC−4
Hi, Ivar. Thank you very much for your suggestion. Now, I am going to adopt the way of controling the properties of materials.
Wish you everything to be going well.
Hi, Ivar. Thank you very much for your suggestion. Now, I am going to adopt the way of controling the properties of materials. Wish you everything to be going well.

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 févr. 2012, 02:26 UTC−5
Hi,
Have you solved your problem?
I try to use the ALE to present the material removal, but fail.
Could you give me some advice and guidance?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Best wishes to you and your family.

Hi, Ivar. Thank you very much for your suggestion. Now, I am going to adopt the way of controling the properties of materials.
Wish you everything to be going well.

Hi, Have you solved your problem? I try to use the ALE to present the material removal, but fail. Could you give me some advice and guidance? Thanks in advance for your help. Best wishes to you and your family. [QUOTE] Hi, Ivar. Thank you very much for your suggestion. Now, I am going to adopt the way of controling the properties of materials. Wish you everything to be going well. [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 févr. 2012, 02:40 UTC−5
Hi, Ivar

very brilliant help. I am still puzzle with the method you mentioned-the change of the local material properties. I know how to change the material properties with temperature (if in the heat transfer model). if only change the properties, the heat source-material interaction interface do not change. while actually, if there is material removal or adding the interface should move according to some quantity relative to the dependent variable(T -if in the heat transfer node). you also mention the Boolean function, the Boolean is only applicable to solid (am I wrong?). Could you give me a more detail?
Thanks in advance for you guidance.
Best wishes to you and your family.

Hi

adding material (or changing the topology) is a tricky domain ;)

It's not easy to start with, almost a full time project by its own.
I would suggest that you look at the "level set method" or the optimisation examples. As there are ways to approach material adding or removal by playing with the local material properties and boolean functions on them

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi, Ivar very brilliant help. I am still puzzle with the method you mentioned-the change of the local material properties. I know how to change the material properties with temperature (if in the heat transfer model). if only change the properties, the heat source-material interaction interface do not change. while actually, if there is material removal or adding the interface should move according to some quantity relative to the dependent variable(T -if in the heat transfer node). you also mention the Boolean function, the Boolean is only applicable to solid (am I wrong?). Could you give me a more detail? Thanks in advance for you guidance. Best wishes to you and your family. [QUOTE] Hi adding material (or changing the topology) is a tricky domain ;) It's not easy to start with, almost a full time project by its own. I would suggest that you look at the "level set method" or the optimisation examples. As there are ways to approach material adding or removal by playing with the local material properties and boolean functions on them -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE]

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 9 févr. 2012, 03:47 UTC−5
Hi

Check the doc and the model of the "loaded elbow" in the model library, its "solid/structural" but from my point of view also applicable, by similarity to HT

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Check the doc and the model of the "loaded elbow" in the model library, its "solid/structural" but from my point of view also applicable, by similarity to HT -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 9 years ago 7 juin 2015, 05:48 UTC−4
www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/79781
http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/79781

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.