Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat exchanger, failed to evaluate variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm trying to model two counterflowing fluids (water and steam), which exchange heat through a copper surface. I'm using General Heat Transfer and Incompressible Navier-Stokes modules.

I've set up inlets and outlets in the N-S module and constant temperatures and convective fluxes in the heat transfer module. I've been messing with many settings and I may be close to solution, but now I'm getting the error:

Failed to evaluate variable U_ns
Geometry 1
Dimension 2
Domains{2}

I can't figure out what that variable is and how I could fix it. In Physics->Equation systems->Subdomain Settings I found a list of variables that has U_chns, but not U_ns. Even if it was there I wouldn't know what to do. Any ideas? I've attached the file (from COMSOL 3.4).

2 Replies Last Post 22 mars 2011, 09:49 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 mars 2011, 10:51 UTC−4
Hi

3.5 is too old for my versions, but is you are in "chns" and get a variable name of "ns", there must be something messed up. You should either check the underlaying equations or redo your model from fresh

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi 3.5 is too old for my versions, but is you are in "chns" and get a variable name of "ns", there must be something messed up. You should either check the underlaying equations or redo your model from fresh -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 mars 2011, 09:49 UTC−4
Alright. I rebuilt the model and still got singular matrix errors like before. I finally managed to get a solution when I inserted better initial values for temperature. Still don't understand what that weird constant was, but now it's working. Thanks.
Alright. I rebuilt the model and still got singular matrix errors like before. I finally managed to get a solution when I inserted better initial values for temperature. Still don't understand what that weird constant was, but now it's working. Thanks.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.