Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Applying old solution as BC for new problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Comsol users.

I just recently started comsol 3.5a, and for my purposes I went straight to "Comsol with Matlab". My problem is as follows:

I have a conducting structure surrounding a vacuum gap, in which i have placed a point charge. My task is to compute the potential induced by surface charges of the metal at the point charge position. In principle I figured a way to do this (if you have other ways to do this I would be very happy to hear about them):

1. Place point charge.
2. Solve Poissons equation (Dirichlet BC's).
3. Retrieve the surface charge data frem the solution.
4. Set up new problem with same structure but applying the surface charges computed in step 3 on the boundaries, without the point charge.
5. Solve Poissons equation with this setup.
6. Obtain the potential at the coordinate where the point charge was.

I'm pretty sure that I know to do all of these steps EXCEPT for 3->4. I know that i can retrieve the surface charge by 'nD_es' for example for plotting. But I do not know how to apply this surface charge as a new BC for the same structure. I feel like I've looked around everywhere but i cannot find anything. Please help!

Thank you.

Morten.

0 Replies Last Post 1 avr. 2011, 08:27 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Morten Gjerding

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.