Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

problem to propagate a gaussian beam or plane wave

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,
I'm using Comsol 4.1 in order to propagate a gaussian beam on grating coupler. I started with 2D situation where I defined materials, mesh, an input port and PML condition on boundaries in order to absorb any reflection.
I have already successfully simulated this same situation with previous comsol 3.5a using "harmonic propagation" section of RF module. I followed indications found in "photonic cristal" tutorial model to set all parameters in Electromagnetics Wave, but the result is zero everywhere. It seems that I have not any excitation at port, while instead I have previously have defined a gaussian input.
I'm sure that boundary condition are exact, but it doesn't work as I want.
Can anyone help me?

thanks...

3 Replies Last Post 21 août 2011, 05:12 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Marco Paolo Bolzoni

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 août 2011, 11:50 UTC−4
Hello,
I have currently quite the same problem than you. I would like to know if you fixed the problem you have mentionned.
Thank you for your answer.

Best regards,

Nicolas
Hello, I have currently quite the same problem than you. I would like to know if you fixed the problem you have mentionned. Thank you for your answer. Best regards, Nicolas

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 août 2011, 01:59 UTC−4
If port is outside PML layer it may be damped and there is no excitation inside? are you using scattered or full field computation?
If port is outside PML layer it may be damped and there is no excitation inside? are you using scattered or full field computation?

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 août 2011, 05:12 UTC−4
hi
i want to have a simulation for get reflection from mirror and i need use from gaussian and parxial source.i have a problem for define the paraxial source can anyone help me? i work with 3.5a version of comsol it is possible to send me your simulation of gaussian beam simulation in comsol 3.5a?
i need reflect optic beam from the surface and i cant defind boundery condition.how can define it?
hi i want to have a simulation for get reflection from mirror and i need use from gaussian and parxial source.i have a problem for define the paraxial source can anyone help me? i work with 3.5a version of comsol it is possible to send me your simulation of gaussian beam simulation in comsol 3.5a? i need reflect optic beam from the surface and i cant defind boundery condition.how can define it?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.