Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Putting in stand-by a simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am trying to put my simulation in stand by to run other things, or to analyse the first results of a time-dependent study :

- is that possible?

- is it possible to do it when the simulation is running in the background?

- changes can be done (on the out-put time steps for instance) during this stand-by time?

Thank you,
Guillermo

6 Replies Last Post 28 avr. 2011, 09:44 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 avr. 2011, 07:38 UTC−4
Hi

sometimes you might be able to stop the solver and restart, but I'm not sure you can trust the results ;) certainly not if you change something.

Often if my model is not too heavy, I launch one COMSOL and leave it running, but on only at most 1/2 of all CPU's, then this leaves me the other CPU's to set up next model

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi sometimes you might be able to stop the solver and restart, but I'm not sure you can trust the results ;) certainly not if you change something. Often if my model is not too heavy, I launch one COMSOL and leave it running, but on only at most 1/2 of all CPU's, then this leaves me the other CPU's to set up next model -- Good luck Ivar

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 avr. 2011, 08:09 UTC−4
Note that to visualize the early results in a transient simulation you can use probes, see User's Guide manual, version 4.1, page 164. All manuals can be accessed through the Help>Helpdesk menu.
Note that to visualize the early results in a transient simulation you can use probes, see User's Guide manual, version 4.1, page 164. All manuals can be accessed through the Help>Helpdesk menu.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 avr. 2011, 08:24 UTC−4
Hi

That's right too, and it records the values in a table, and to follow the solver during the process, you might turn on the "plot while solving" at different levels in the solver tree nodes

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi That's right too, and it records the values in a table, and to follow the solver during the process, you might turn on the "plot while solving" at different levels in the solver tree nodes -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 avr. 2011, 08:56 UTC−4
Thanks for your answers, I have the chance to have a few cores and I can do many things at the same time ;)

The thing is that now I have a long time-dependent simulation running and I would like to see if the first steps are OK or not so that I don't need to waste a whole week...

Next time I'll use the probes, but with those you can't analyse the whole solution...

Guillermo
Thanks for your answers, I have the chance to have a few cores and I can do many things at the same time ;) The thing is that now I have a long time-dependent simulation running and I would like to see if the first steps are OK or not so that I don't need to waste a whole week... Next time I'll use the probes, but with those you can't analyse the whole solution... Guillermo

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 avr. 2011, 15:28 UTC−4
Hi

check also the plot while solving fields, there are several in the solver tree, at different levels, start on top. By default these tabs are "closed" and easily overlooked. This is useful to "see" the evolution of the search for solution, and gives sometimes some surprises, where the solver is passing, and can give clues while the solver sometimes get lost.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check also the plot while solving fields, there are several in the solver tree, at different levels, start on top. By default these tabs are "closed" and easily overlooked. This is useful to "see" the evolution of the search for solution, and gives sometimes some surprises, where the solver is passing, and can give clues while the solver sometimes get lost. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 avr. 2011, 09:44 UTC−4
Hi,

Thanks for your answers, I better control what is happening now.
And you are right, it doesn't always re-start from the last time-step calculation I had a bad surprise with that when a big simulation was restarted... ;)

Best
Guillermo
Hi, Thanks for your answers, I better control what is happening now. And you are right, it doesn't always re-start from the last time-step calculation I had a bad surprise with that when a big simulation was restarted... ;) Best Guillermo

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.