Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

variable names in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

While examining this model: www.comsol.com/community/exchange/121/, I encountered some variable names in the weak expression describing the surface tension, that I don't understand. These seem to be defined in COMSOL somewhere, but I can't find them:

-2*ns.f0*(test(u)*ns.nr+test(v)*ns.nz)*pi*r

Is there a list or something similar where I can look this up?

Best regards,
Christian

3 Replies Last Post 28 avr. 2011, 05:41 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 avr. 2011, 15:21 UTC−4
Hi
I believe not yet (hope it will come in next release ;)

But you can do some searches in the Equation view (turn on via Preferences) look upt the "descriptions", then you can find many by doing an indexed search on the PDF of the help files.

The notation is "ns." for Navier Stokes, but I believe that is either a 3.5 translation or a 4.0 name, normall in natif 4.1 it should be spf (single phase flow), the physics identifier, "nr" "nz" for the normal component along r and z (so you are working in 2D-axi I understand, else it would have been nx, ny, nz. These are defined along an Edge = Boundary then. "ns.nr" is to be understood as a field of the type ns.nr(r,z) ,as as the edge scans over the r,z plane the nr value might change (if the line is not straight).

Attached to the coordinates r,z you have the displacements u,v (in fact in NS I believe its the velocities ? (sorry pls check). I cannot remember what is f0 that too you will have to search. But the equation you have is the weak expression of the scalar product of f0 with the normal component of (u,v) w.r.t the edge that is selected in the BC.

It's a beginning, but as a many names has changed from 3.5 and 4, and a few since the first 4.0 it's indeed not easy to follow ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe not yet (hope it will come in next release ;) But you can do some searches in the Equation view (turn on via Preferences) look upt the "descriptions", then you can find many by doing an indexed search on the PDF of the help files. The notation is "ns." for Navier Stokes, but I believe that is either a 3.5 translation or a 4.0 name, normall in natif 4.1 it should be spf (single phase flow), the physics identifier, "nr" "nz" for the normal component along r and z (so you are working in 2D-axi I understand, else it would have been nx, ny, nz. These are defined along an Edge = Boundary then. "ns.nr" is to be understood as a field of the type ns.nr(r,z) ,as as the edge scans over the r,z plane the nr value might change (if the line is not straight). Attached to the coordinates r,z you have the displacements u,v (in fact in NS I believe its the velocities ? (sorry pls check). I cannot remember what is f0 that too you will have to search. But the equation you have is the weak expression of the scalar product of f0 with the normal component of (u,v) w.r.t the edge that is selected in the BC. It's a beginning, but as a many names has changed from 3.5 and 4, and a few since the first 4.0 it's indeed not easy to follow ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 avr. 2011, 03:06 UTC−4
Hi!

I found out, that ns.f0 is the normal stress, which can be defined in the 'open boundary' node.
Can you tell me, what the test-function does? Is it the same test function you use for weak differentiations?

Best regards,
Christian
Hi! I found out, that ns.f0 is the normal stress, which can be defined in the 'open boundary' node. Can you tell me, what the test-function does? Is it the same test function you use for weak differentiations? Best regards, Christian

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 avr. 2011, 05:41 UTC−4
Hi

the test functions are the weak formulation, that is too long to handle here, take a close look to the doc, and some of the books in the book reference

www.comsol.eu/support/books/

such as "Introduction to Computation and Modeling with Differential Equations" by Lennart Edsberg and
"The Finite Element Method Basic Concepts and Applications" by Darrell W. Pepper and Juan C. Heinrich

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the test functions are the weak formulation, that is too long to handle here, take a close look to the doc, and some of the books in the book reference http://www.comsol.eu/support/books/ such as "Introduction to Computation and Modeling with Differential Equations" by Lennart Edsberg and "The Finite Element Method Basic Concepts and Applications" by Darrell W. Pepper and Juan C. Heinrich -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.