Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to simulate 3D open channel turbulent flow with free surface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I want to simulate open channel flow with free surface.
I don't know what kind of physical interface can be used to simulate it.
Moving mesh?
Gas-liquid 2 phase flow?
Fluid-structure coupling?
PDE mode?
CFD module?

thanks

3 Replies Last Post 12 août 2011, 04:54 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tamotsu Nakandakari

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 juin 2011, 14:50 UTC−4
Hei,

I am working on the same kind of problem, did you find a solution?
Hei, I am working on the same kind of problem, did you find a solution?

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 juin 2011, 20:13 UTC−4
Hi,

No, I didn't.
But I got some advise from Japanese customer center.
Moving mesh and PDE are basically used.
CFD is needed in the case of turbulant flow analysis.
Multiphase flow (air-liquid) is no need.

To use PDE, we have to prepare the governing equations that describe the flow we want to analyze.

I don't know how to set Moving mesh.

Please refer to attach file.
Hi, No, I didn't. But I got some advise from Japanese customer center. Moving mesh and PDE are basically used. CFD is needed in the case of turbulant flow analysis. Multiphase flow (air-liquid) is no need. To use PDE, we have to prepare the governing equations that describe the flow we want to analyze. I don't know how to set Moving mesh. Please refer to attach file.

Atish Surana COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 août 2011, 04:54 UTC−4
Can someone comment on how can a water flow (with given volumetric flow & pressure) in an open surface irrigation canal be modeled?
Can someone comment on how can a water flow (with given volumetric flow & pressure) in an open surface irrigation canal be modeled?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.