Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Critical Buckling Load

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to Comsol and am trying to measure the critical buckling load for a beam.

I started with 2D Euler (In-Plane Euler Beam), draw a rectangle (40nm by 1.2um), fix the bottom and apply a downward load to the top, put in material properties and beam thickness (40nm), mesh and solve. (sometimes constrain points on the top of the beam so the beam acts as a fixed/pinned with no movement in x, only y)

A few questions:
Will increasing the load cause the beam to buckle in this analyse?
How can I plot a load vs displacement to find the critical load?
Do I need a slight side load or will the slight variation in the mesh be enough?

The plan is to see how the number compares with basic theory and then make the model more complicated. So far I have seen the eigenvalue shapes but have no idea on how to get the critical load out.

Thanks in advanced,

2 Replies Last Post 5 mai 2011, 14:36 UTC−4
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 mai 2011, 23:04 UTC−4
If you do a linear buckling analysis you should get the buckling load (in the form of a load factors) and buckling mode shape. In this case you do not need any load or mesh variation to disturb the symmetry. If you do a stationary analysis then you need that perturbation (via load or geometry) to disrupt the symmetry. This type of analysis will also get you the post-buckling response of the beam.

There is a good COMSOL verification example called “Large Deformation Beam” that demonstrates the post-buckling stationary analysis, and another example called “Various Analyses of an Elbow Bracket” that demonstrates the linear buckling analysis.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
If you do a linear buckling analysis you should get the buckling load (in the form of a load factors) and buckling mode shape. In this case you do not need any load or mesh variation to disturb the symmetry. If you do a stationary analysis then you need that perturbation (via load or geometry) to disrupt the symmetry. This type of analysis will also get you the post-buckling response of the beam. There is a good COMSOL verification example called “Large Deformation Beam” that demonstrates the post-buckling stationary analysis, and another example called “Various Analyses of an Elbow Bracket” that demonstrates the linear buckling analysis. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 mai 2011, 14:36 UTC−4
Nagi,

Thank you! I am still working through some issues but the large deformation beam is very helpful.

I might ask some more questions after a couple of days.

Swan
Nagi, Thank you! I am still working through some issues but the large deformation beam is very helpful. I might ask some more questions after a couple of days. Swan

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.