Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

changing the shape function of a beam element

Prithivirajan Veerappan

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

hi,

presently im using the 2 noded beam element available.but how to modify the shape function (order) if i want to use a 3 noded beam element?

regards
prithivi

3 Replies Last Post 12 mai 2011, 01:31 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 mai 2011, 18:00 UTC−4
Hi

with Comsol you should rather talk about nodes of the mesh, and "order" of the shape function.

The latter is decided in the "Discretisation" tree node of the main physics tab for each physics.
You might need to turn on the preferences show all options to see this node (check the doc)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi with Comsol you should rather talk about nodes of the mesh, and "order" of the shape function. The latter is decided in the "Discretisation" tree node of the main physics tab for each physics. You might need to turn on the preferences show all options to see this node (check the doc) -- Good luck Ivar

Prithivirajan Veerappan

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 mai 2011, 00:43 UTC−4
sorry i could not get you..... my question is that

a cubic Hermitian Interpolation function is predefined in comsol as sheulbps('u','v','th')

if i insert an extra node ..the interpolation polynomial becomes 5th order ..how to insert it in elements tab ..im using comsol 3.5

regards
prithivi
sorry i could not get you..... my question is that a cubic Hermitian Interpolation function is predefined in comsol as sheulbps('u','v','th') if i insert an extra node ..the interpolation polynomial becomes 5th order ..how to insert it in elements tab ..im using comsol 3.5 regards prithivi

Prithivirajan Veerappan

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 mai 2011, 01:31 UTC−4
can somebody suggest about this?
can somebody suggest about this?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.