Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time-dependent boundary condition from data file

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I wonder if someone could offer some insight on this issue. I am doing a very simple 1D transient thermal conduction/convection analysis. I am trying to define a time dependent boundary condition by defining a function which is interpolated from the data in a text file. I got the following error message:
Error: 6250
Failed to evaluate variable Jacabian
- Variable: Tb
- Geometry: 1
- Dimension: 1
- Domains: {1}
Failed to evaluate operator Jacobian
- Operator: mean

Here Tb is the function I am trying to define by interpolation.

If Tb is set to be a constant, it works fine. And I can Tb to another value at the end of the simulation to start another run -- a manual implementation of time-dependent BC.

I searched the forum and it seems that it might have something to do with the smoothness of the BC. I tried different interpolation method, but the results were the same.

I am currently looking for more detailed documentation on the usage of interpolated BC now. Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

PS: I am using Comsol3.3

3 Replies Last Post 6 juin 2011, 17:52 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 juin 2011, 12:00 UTC−4
Just an update on some trouble shooting.

I define a new function Tb = 374 to act as a boundary condition and got the same error message regarding Jacobian. If I define Tb as a constant, it works ok.

It looks like I can set up a Comsol script to loop through the Tb values in each small time step, but this is obviously not the smart way to go.

My gut feeling is that there is some fundamental issues not clear to me. It would be appreciated if someone could offer a little insight.

The problematic model with Tb defined as a constant function is attached below
Just an update on some trouble shooting. I define a new function Tb = 374 to act as a boundary condition and got the same error message regarding Jacobian. If I define Tb as a constant, it works ok. It looks like I can set up a Comsol script to loop through the Tb values in each small time step, but this is obviously not the smart way to go. My gut feeling is that there is some fundamental issues not clear to me. It would be appreciated if someone could offer a little insight. The problematic model with Tb defined as a constant function is attached below

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 juin 2011, 12:00 UTC−4
Just an update on some trouble shooting.

I define a new function Tb = 374 to act as a boundary condition and got the same error message regarding Jacobian. If I define Tb as a constant, it works ok.

It looks like I can set up a Comsol script to loop through the Tb values in each small time step, but this is obviously not the smart way to go.

My gut feeling is that there is some fundamental issues not clear to me. It would be appreciated if someone could offer a little insight.

The problematic model with Tb defined as a constant function is attached below
Just an update on some trouble shooting. I define a new function Tb = 374 to act as a boundary condition and got the same error message regarding Jacobian. If I define Tb as a constant, it works ok. It looks like I can set up a Comsol script to loop through the Tb values in each small time step, but this is obviously not the smart way to go. My gut feeling is that there is some fundamental issues not clear to me. It would be appreciated if someone could offer a little insight. The problematic model with Tb defined as a constant function is attached below

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 juin 2011, 17:52 UTC−4
It turns out the problem is that I need to explicitly write out the argument of the function to let COMSOL know it is a function. In another word, "f(t)" works, but not "f".
It turns out the problem is that I need to explicitly write out the argument of the function to let COMSOL know it is a function. In another word, "f(t)" works, but not "f".

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.