Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Frequency study over time?!

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I would like to model an acoustic field with the aeroacoustics module, in which I succeed with the Frequency Domain solver. But I really would like to make a time study of this, because I would like to see the field change over time.

Is that possible without the "Solution at angle:" function? Is it possible to have an harmonic input and a Time Dependent study of that input?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Joppe

2 Replies Last Post 6 juin 2011, 22:59 UTC−4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 juin 2011, 22:58 UTC−4
A true "frequency domain" study has no time dependence except its harmonic (sinusoidal) part. The "time dependency" of that harmonic part is revealed in its dependence on the phase. You can make animations of Comsol solutions in terms of phase, thus producing movies of quantities that exhibit (effectively) a harmonic time dependence.

If the time dependence you wish to study is anything other than pure harmonic, then you should solve the problem in the time domain instead of in the frequency domain.
A true "frequency domain" study has no time dependence except its harmonic (sinusoidal) part. The "time dependency" of that harmonic part is revealed in its dependence on the phase. You can make animations of Comsol solutions in terms of phase, thus producing movies of quantities that exhibit (effectively) a harmonic time dependence. If the time dependence you wish to study is anything other than pure harmonic, then you should solve the problem in the time domain instead of in the frequency domain.

Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 juin 2011, 22:59 UTC−4

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.