Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to partition 3D geormetry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello folks,
I'm trying to partition a cylinder and can't quite figure out how to do it. Is there any kind soul out there who could give me some advise?
Thanks

3 Replies Last Post 22 juin 2011, 09:16 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 juin 2011, 10:49 UTC−4

Hello folks,
I'm trying to partition a cylinder and can't quite figure out how to do it. Is there any kind soul out there who could give me some advise?
Thanks

I have attached a file done in ver4.2. If you can't read it, what version do you have? You can follow the file or below.

After dwg the cylinder, you then select a workplane where you want to split the object. go into the workplane geometry and draw lines where you want to split at. After you are done, you can then extrude these lines in the 3D workspace. The key point here is that after the extrusion you need to do conversions -> convert to solid. Then build all. You should have separate domains now.

Hope this helps.
[QUOTE] Hello folks, I'm trying to partition a cylinder and can't quite figure out how to do it. Is there any kind soul out there who could give me some advise? Thanks [/QUOTE] I have attached a file done in ver4.2. If you can't read it, what version do you have? You can follow the file or below. After dwg the cylinder, you then select a workplane where you want to split the object. go into the workplane geometry and draw lines where you want to split at. After you are done, you can then extrude these lines in the 3D workspace. The key point here is that after the extrusion you need to do conversions -> convert to solid. Then build all. You should have separate domains now. Hope this helps.

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 juin 2011, 03:53 UTC−4
Many thanks Dennis!
It was the conversion bit I didn't know about.
George

PS I couldn't read your file although I'm also running V4.2
Many thanks Dennis! It was the conversion bit I didn't know about. George PS I couldn't read your file although I'm also running V4.2

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 juin 2011, 09:16 UTC−4

Many thanks Dennis!
It was the conversion bit I didn't know about.
George

PS I couldn't read your file although I'm also running V4.2

That is very strange about the file not opening. Still works ok on my machine. I have attached a 4.1 file but you should be able to open in 4.2. Hopefully this one works ok. While it sounds like you have what you wanted, it just bugs me that there are these translational errors.
[QUOTE] Many thanks Dennis! It was the conversion bit I didn't know about. George PS I couldn't read your file although I'm also running V4.2 [/QUOTE] That is very strange about the file not opening. Still works ok on my machine. I have attached a 4.1 file but you should be able to open in 4.2. Hopefully this one works ok. While it sounds like you have what you wanted, it just bugs me that there are these translational errors.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.