Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Point heat source in axial symmetry at origin

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I want to model a simple point heat source at the interface of 2 materials. I can make finite cylindrical slabs of material in 3D with the point source in the middle but it would be much more efficient to move to an axial symmetric model with a point heat source at the origin. Unfortunately, whenever I try to place a point heat source at the origin of the axial symmetry but no heat is dissipated in the model and the entire model stays at room temperature. Is there an easy way around this? Or is this fixed in a newer version of COMSOL (I have version 4b)?

Thanks,

Erik

1 Reply Last Post 12 sept. 2018, 06:53 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago 12 sept. 2018, 06:53 UTC−4

Hi Erik,

In newer versions, the is a feature called Point Heat Source on Axis.

The problem lies in that a 'point source' in axial symmetry actually is a line source, unless placed on the axis of rotation.

You can solve your problem by manually adding a Weak Contribution to the point (with an expression like my_Q*test(T)).

Regards,
Henrik

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Erik, In newer versions, the is a feature called **Point Heat Source on Axis**. The problem lies in that a 'point source' in axial symmetry actually is a line source, unless placed on the axis of rotation. You can solve your problem by manually adding a **Weak Contribution** to the point (with an expression like my\_Q\*test(T)). Regards, Henrik

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.