Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3d to 2d issues

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I have a complex 3D geometry that was cut to 2D in SolidWorks. The resulting .sldprt file seems to contain a geometry that is formally still 3D in that all y-coordinates are now equal to zero. I cannot import this into a Comsol 2D geometry but only a 3D geometry. How can I convert this to a proper 2D dataset that Comsol will recognize. The info is all there, I just have to get rid of the y-coordinate somehow. Any ideas? Thank you!!

1 Reply Last Post 20 oct. 2011, 11:07 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 20 oct. 2011, 11:07 UTC−4
Hi

you need to convert it to DXF in SolidWorks, then you can import it in COMSOL 2D (which now accepts Z=0.

Note you might need to orient it in x-y, not sure (European way Z towards the sky and not Y helps quite a lot for the default orientations)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you need to convert it to DXF in SolidWorks, then you can import it in COMSOL 2D (which now accepts Z=0. Note you might need to orient it in x-y, not sure (European way Z towards the sky and not Y helps quite a lot for the default orientations) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.