Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Hydrodynamic dispersion in porous media

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

I'm currently working on a mass induced natural convection 2D problem in porous media (single phase miscible displacement).

System description:

At the initial condition, component 1 fills a rectangular domain. On top, a Dirichlet BC is set with mass fraction(component 2)=1. A non-monotonic density-mass fraction function is implemented, such that when component 1 is pure, it is lighter than component 2. However, when they mix due to diffusion, the mixture becomes heavier forming instabilities which lead to the classical fingering patterns.

In order to do so i'm solving the two components mass conservation. The conservation of momentum in done via the Darcy law for porous media. Hydrodynamic dispersion is represented by the scheidegger model which states linear dependency between the mechanical dispersion and velocity (multiplied by the dispersivity coefficient). Finally, a linear viscosity-mass fraction function is implemented.

So far so good. I currently use Comsol (finite element and implicit scheme) to do so, and manage to solve the system to get reasonable results (compared to experimental results).

The conundrum:

Problem starts when i increase the dispersivity coefficient. For some reason, which is counter intuitive to me, when i increase dispersivity, for the same element size, convergence becomes worse up to a point where it doesn't converge at all. I assumed that increasing dispersivity would play a stabilizing factor (decreasing the elemental Peclet number), but for some reason it is not.

Any insights?

Thanks!

0 Replies Last Post 19 mai 2019, 04:03 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Avihai Tsinober

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.