Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to simulate the secondary magnetic field generated by induced current

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
In the coil_above_plate model, the current in the coil generates a primary magnetic field, and induces eddy current in the plate. How to simulate the secondary magnetic field generated by induced current?
Thanks!

7 Replies Last Post 12 juin 2012, 11:23 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 nov. 2011, 04:44 UTC−4
Hi,

the induced field is of course calculated and superimposes with the primary field. If you want to see the induced field alone you could try to leave the plate away, or give it zero conductivity and subtract that from the full model.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, the induced field is of course calculated and superimposes with the primary field. If you want to see the induced field alone you could try to leave the plate away, or give it zero conductivity and subtract that from the full model. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 nov. 2011, 09:10 UTC−4
Hi, Edgar

Thanks for your reply!
Is it possible to calculate the secondary magnetic field directly from a certain expression? I'd like to display the primary and secondary field at the same time.

Best wishes!
Zheng Wenpei
Hi, Edgar Thanks for your reply! Is it possible to calculate the secondary magnetic field directly from a certain expression? I'd like to display the primary and secondary field at the same time. Best wishes! Zheng Wenpei

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 nov. 2011, 10:08 UTC−4
Wenpei,

no, I haven't seen that so far. Someone correct me please if I missed it.

Cheers
Edgar
Wenpei, no, I haven't seen that so far. Someone correct me please if I missed it. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 nov. 2011, 10:42 UTC−4
Edgar,

Someone had told me to Use the first part of Ampère's Law, as shown in the attachment, to build an expression of the secondary field. But I've no idea how to build the expression with the variables of COMSOL. May you could help me.

Best wishes!
Zheng Wenpei
Edgar, Someone had told me to Use the first part of Ampère's Law, as shown in the attachment, to build an expression of the secondary field. But I've no idea how to build the expression with the variables of COMSOL. May you could help me. Best wishes! Zheng Wenpei

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 nov. 2011, 11:25 UTC−4
Wenpei,

I think what he means is to modify the application mode. You would need to modify the underlying differential equation. The term you marked is the only one that depends on the induced current j.

So, this not about postprocessing but rather about modifiying the application mode and its equations. This can of course be done, but I haven't done something like that so far.

Cheers
Edgar
Wenpei, I think what he means is to modify the application mode. You would need to modify the underlying differential equation. The term you marked is the only one that depends on the induced current j. So, this not about postprocessing but rather about modifiying the application mode and its equations. This can of course be done, but I haven't done something like that so far. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 nov. 2011, 12:16 UTC−4
Edgar,

Thanks a lot! Let me have a try.
By the way, I'd like to get an alternating magnetic field via a multi turn coil with a core in it in 3D mode, how could I build the geometry of the coil, and what kind of current should I choose to add on it?

Best wishes!
Zheng Wenpei
Edgar, Thanks a lot! Let me have a try. By the way, I'd like to get an alternating magnetic field via a multi turn coil with a core in it in 3D mode, how could I build the geometry of the coil, and what kind of current should I choose to add on it? Best wishes! Zheng Wenpei

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 juin 2012, 11:23 UTC−4
Hi

I'm a begginer but, maybe you can create a new model and study.
In the new model add an "External current density" and put the induced currens solved in the previous problem.

Best wishes
Hi I'm a begginer but, maybe you can create a new model and study. In the new model add an "External current density" and put the induced currens solved in the previous problem. Best wishes

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.