Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Measuring perimeter of deformed shape

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm attaching a file where I have an oval shape, I stretch it, and want to measure the perimeter after stretching.

I define the thing and stretch it using a body load on one side and a fixed constraint on the other side., and it works fine.

Next I go Model > DEfinitions > Make an integration operator and call it intop1. I select Edge as the entity level and the Spatial frame. Next I click each edge section that defines a perimeter of the object.

Next I go to Results > Derived Values > Add new Global Evaluation. I type "intop1(1)" (here the argument is "1" because I'm just integrating to find the perimeter in micrometers).

Next I solve. However that procedure above seems to always give the undeformed perimeter. I have tried changing Spatial Frame to Material Frame or Mesh Frame, but it does the same!!

How can I measure the perimeter of a statically deformed object?

Thanks

2 Replies Last Post 6 déc. 2011, 12:45 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 déc. 2011, 10:26 UTC−5
Oops forgot the attachment
Oops forgot the attachment

Posted: 1 decade ago 6 déc. 2011, 12:45 UTC−5
Never mind, it appears to be working. The deformations were just smaller than I expected.
Never mind, it appears to be working. The deformations were just smaller than I expected.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.