Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

electric field along a line

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can advice me on this problem.
I've recently been using Comsol 4.2, after using another in-house 3D FEA package for quite sometime.
but one thing I've been able to do before, was plot the electric field across a line.

so for e.g, I was able to plot the electric field (graph) on the surface of a conductor/insulator or any other object, in a straight line, given the co-ordinates.
At the moment, struggling with the this, in Comsol
I am not sure if i'm looking in the right place, but I still haven't managed to find a command that allows me to specify a line across which I can find the electric field. I can draw a patch, but this does not show me the exact value at a certain location. An electric field line, will allow me to see the actual values of the field.

Any advise??

Thanks in advance

1 Reply Last Post 5 janv. 2012, 14:51 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 janv. 2012, 14:51 UTC−5
Hi

You can either plot a variable as defined by the coordiantes of a domain, a bondary, an edge or a point (at least 3 of these, it depends if you are in 2D or 3D). But then these entities must be defined by the geoemtry.

However, you can always also define your own cut plane, line ... where the variable is to be defined by interpolation from the appropriate Result Data Set (try a right click on the Data Set node) and then you can attach a plot to this new "data set" node

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi You can either plot a variable as defined by the coordiantes of a domain, a bondary, an edge or a point (at least 3 of these, it depends if you are in 2D or 3D). But then these entities must be defined by the geoemtry. However, you can always also define your own cut plane, line ... where the variable is to be defined by interpolation from the appropriate Result Data Set (try a right click on the Data Set node) and then you can attach a plot to this new "data set" node -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.