Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

I have a trouble on calculating electromagnetic force

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to simulate how much force is induced to the permanent magnet when I use helmholtz coil and put a permanent magnet in the middle of coil.

I simulated and get some results.
However, eventhough I changed current which flows into the helmholtz coil, the force is not changed.
In addition, the result value does not make sense.

I attached my simulation file.
Coudl you help me?

2 Replies Last Post 10 févr. 2012, 16:24 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 févr. 2012, 11:46 UTC−5
Hi

I tried a couple of things with your model, but without success.

You have an inconsistency in the units for the external current density und you didn't specify a torque axis. I corrected both but this was not the issue.
The force remains independent of the current density.

A bit lost at the moment; did you find something meanwhile?

Cheers
Edgar
Hi I tried a couple of things with your model, but without success. You have an inconsistency in the units for the external current density und you didn't specify a torque axis. I corrected both but this was not the issue. The force remains independent of the current density. A bit lost at the moment; did you find something meanwhile? Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 févr. 2012, 16:24 UTC−5
I know there is little bit change of force.
However, when I simulate it with disabled external current, It has a force.
In my viewpoint, there is no current, there is no electric field. Thus, no force is induced on magnet. However, the force is very big.
Could you tell me why it does like this?

Thank you
I know there is little bit change of force. However, when I simulate it with disabled external current, It has a force. In my viewpoint, there is no current, there is no electric field. Thus, no force is induced on magnet. However, the force is very big. Could you tell me why it does like this? Thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.