Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL V4.2 quits silently

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have been working with COMSOL for 1 year now, I have some problem with it now. The COMSOL V4.2 quits silently when I run my simulation. It is really weird. I tried to reinstall it again but I still have the same problem. I have tried different files, but it quits silently. any Idea ????

5 Replies Last Post 14 févr. 2012, 14:28 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 févr. 2012, 16:56 UTC−5
Hi

that happens to me too, from time to time, I have so far not found out why, I fear an interaction with my Win-7 64 bit, as MS catches sometimes a run time error, after two consecutive erro messags COMSOL is jammed.
The error log relates it to a java linked ntdll.dll error.

Happened again last Friday, but then I rebooted and launched one session, left it idle there over the wekk-end (forgot to close and logout) and this morning it ran again normally. No idea why ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that happens to me too, from time to time, I have so far not found out why, I fear an interaction with my Win-7 64 bit, as MS catches sometimes a run time error, after two consecutive erro messags COMSOL is jammed. The error log relates it to a java linked ntdll.dll error. Happened again last Friday, but then I rebooted and launched one session, left it idle there over the wekk-end (forgot to close and logout) and this morning it ran again normally. No idea why ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 13 févr. 2012, 17:51 UTC−5
Hi,
I am using the Windows 7 -64 bit too, but I have no problem for one year. I can not understand why it is happening now. I found something on the net that maybe this problem is due to the Graphic Card.

Hi, I am using the Windows 7 -64 bit too, but I have no problem for one year. I can not understand why it is happening now. I found something on the net that maybe this problem is due to the Graphic Card.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 févr. 2012, 01:56 UTC−5
Hi

for me it happens a couple of times per year, mainly if COMSOL crashes a few times consecutively (typically if I load a too old file, or if I have really tampered with the model for too long without resetting it

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for me it happens a couple of times per year, mainly if COMSOL crashes a few times consecutively (typically if I load a too old file, or if I have really tampered with the model for too long without resetting it -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 févr. 2012, 08:04 UTC−5
it happens for me once a day now. I do not know what to do. Should I contact COMSOL directly?
it happens for me once a day now. I do not know what to do. Should I contact COMSOL directly?

Posted: 1 decade ago 14 févr. 2012, 14:28 UTC−5
Hi

certainly you can,
I had notices that reinstalling it cured the effect, and its reinstalles rather rapidly (be sure you save your material db if you have one (under user / .comsol / ...), and check if you do not need to reload the library, not sure.

But this time my version "repeared itself" over the week-end, not sre how, wounder if MS win-7 have som black-list with timeouts ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi certainly you can, I had notices that reinstalling it cured the effect, and its reinstalles rather rapidly (be sure you save your material db if you have one (under user / .comsol / ...), and check if you do not need to reload the library, not sure. But this time my version "repeared itself" over the week-end, not sre how, wounder if MS win-7 have som black-list with timeouts ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.