Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Calculation of eigenfrequencies as a function of temperature

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm currenty trying to model the eigenfrequencies of a thin cylinder ansiotropic silicon cylinder as a fucntion of temperature in COMSOL 5.3a.

I have measured data for the material properites of the geometry between 4K-300K which i have loaded into the model and performed a parameter sweep through each of the properties while varying a temperature applied to the body.

Comparing the results of this model to measured data of eigenfrequency vs temperature yeilds very different results than I would expect. I am wondering if this is the best way to go about solving this kind if problem in comsol or if there is something that i am missing

2 Replies Last Post 3 sept. 2020, 06:45 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 19 août 2020, 09:15 UTC−4

This may be of interest:

https://www.comsol.com/blogs/how-to-analyze-eigenfrequencies-that-change-with-temperature

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
This may be of interest:

Posted: 4 years ago 3 sept. 2020, 06:45 UTC−4
Updated: 4 years ago 3 sept. 2020, 06:55 UTC−4

Hi Henrik

Thank you for forwarding this article to me, it is indeed interesting. I have tried to take some tips from this model and apply it to my problem; however, I still seem to be having the same issue.

My current problem is that my measured eigenfrequencies increase with temperature, indicating that the stress inside the material is rising. The values which comsol predicts show an almost equal but opposite change in frequency with temperature.

I am wondering if there is something else which I need to take into account here for my model to represent the physical measurements accurately?

I will link below to dropbox transfer of my model so you can see what I'm working with.

https://www.dropbox.com/t/4NMOB3eYlric4kD0

Hi Henrik Thank you for forwarding this article to me, it is indeed interesting. I have tried to take some tips from this model and apply it to my problem; however, I still seem to be having the same issue. My current problem is that my measured eigenfrequencies increase with temperature, indicating that the stress inside the material is rising. The values which comsol predicts show an almost equal but opposite change in frequency with temperature. I am wondering if there is something else which I need to take into account here for my model to represent the physical measurements accurately? I will link below to dropbox transfer of my model so you can see what I'm working with. https://www.dropbox.com/t/4NMOB3eYlric4kD0

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.