Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A contact problem with transient solution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi ,

I am trying to model a contact problem which is that rectangle 1 presses rectangle 2 to a prescribed displacement. I use a contact pair between the two rectangles. And I use both stationary solution and time-dependent solution for this question. As the results show, the stationary solution was successed, but the transient solution was failed. And the error is :
Failed to find consistent initial values.
Segregated group X2
Size of vector and sparse matrix disagree.
Last time step is not converged.

Any help will be appreciated.
models are attached.

3 Replies Last Post 8 mai 2012, 01:21 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 mai 2012, 11:05 UTC−4
Hi

contact in the time domain means often collisions and bouncing, that is delicate to get the solver to converge for, but if you use small enough steps and intermediate or strict time stepping (often gen alpha is more stable as the BDF, but not always) then it mostly works out. To improve your solver tweaking start by turning off the inertial terms (main physics node)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi contact in the time domain means often collisions and bouncing, that is delicate to get the solver to converge for, but if you use small enough steps and intermediate or strict time stepping (often gen alpha is more stable as the BDF, but not always) then it mostly works out. To improve your solver tweaking start by turning off the inertial terms (main physics node) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 mai 2012, 22:36 UTC−4
Hi,
Ivar, thanks a lot for your reply!

I cannot fix the problem by using smaller steps(0, 0.001,1), and intermediate or strict time stepping (and gen alpha). It still have the same error.

And I don't know the mean of "to improve your solver tweaking start by turning off the inertial terms (main physics node)", I could not find the inertial terms in my model (I use only solid mechanics here).

Hi, Ivar, thanks a lot for your reply! I cannot fix the problem by using smaller steps(0, 0.001,1), and intermediate or strict time stepping (and gen alpha). It still have the same error. And I don't know the mean of "to improve your solver tweaking start by turning off the inertial terms (main physics node)", I could not find the inertial terms in my model (I use only solid mechanics here).

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 mai 2012, 01:21 UTC−4
Hi

take a closer look at this tab (v4.2a), and the related doc (use Quasi static and check what happends to the equations). try an easy example beam and a fixed block, in 2D run the contact with and via an increasing loading with an without the inertial terms you will quickly understand

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi take a closer look at this tab (v4.2a), and the related doc (use Quasi static and check what happends to the equations). try an easy example beam and a fixed block, in 2D run the contact with and via an increasing loading with an without the inertial terms you will quickly understand -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.