Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Non isothermal flow

Pavan Kumar Penumakala

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,,

I am solving Non isothermal flow ( with solidification included) in a domain.
both turblent flow and heat transfer are involved..

I followed the continuous casting model in model library..

When i am trying to solve my model i get the error

Failed to find a solution.
Segregated group 1

Singular matrix.

There are 16 void equations (empty rows in matrix) for the variable mod2.nitf.TWall
and similarly for the degrees of freedom (empty columns in matrix)
Returned solution has not converged.

what is Twall ..

is there any other model in comsol which demonstrates the solution of turblentflow and heat transfer to gether

thanks

6 Replies Last Post 23 juil. 2012, 05:55 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 24 mai 2012, 14:29 UTC−4
Hi

For me it probably means you have not given enough BCs to get an unique solution to your PDE. When using multi-physics models you still need to give enough BC valus FOR EACH physics to force your PDEs to have an unique solution. It's quickly done to overlook one or two.

Check all your dependent variables do they have 1-2 BC forcing them to a constant value or defining the corresponding fluxes ?

With NITF you must also select if the inflow is rather from the fluid (driving the equations) or from the solid side

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi For me it probably means you have not given enough BCs to get an unique solution to your PDE. When using multi-physics models you still need to give enough BC valus FOR EACH physics to force your PDEs to have an unique solution. It's quickly done to overlook one or two. Check all your dependent variables do they have 1-2 BC forcing them to a constant value or defining the corresponding fluxes ? With NITF you must also select if the inflow is rather from the fluid (driving the equations) or from the solid side -- Good luck Ivar

Pavan Kumar Penumakala

Posted: 1 decade ago 25 mai 2012, 11:08 UTC−4
Dear Mr.Ivar

thanks for the reply...

i uploaded my model here ..

boundary 9 is the inlet for fluid..3, 4, 5, 6,7,8,10 are walls..

for the heat transfer, on wall 10 the HTC is specified ...
and i gave fluid input tempearure..
it involves solidification so i added source terms accordingly..

i do not figure out what BC i am missing

thanks
Dear Mr.Ivar thanks for the reply... i uploaded my model here .. boundary 9 is the inlet for fluid..3, 4, 5, 6,7,8,10 are walls.. for the heat transfer, on wall 10 the HTC is specified ... and i gave fluid input tempearure.. it involves solidification so i added source terms accordingly.. i do not figure out what BC i am missing thanks

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 mai 2012, 06:56 UTC−4
Hi

I cannot do much ,as it seems that you have some issues with the turbulent flow set-up and CDF is not my speciality, if I play with laminar flow sometimes, I extremely seldom run turbulent flow, as this is a speciality of its own.

Newertheless a few comments:
Mesh: no need to use a minimum mesh size larger than the maximum, that should be made mode consistent

You need a wall boundary on all no-slip wall, this is not the case, try using the default COMSOL physics induced mesh as starting point

I would leave the outflow so your temperature might follow the fluid flow.

It could also be your equations that are triggering the error, but the way I read it you are missing somewhere on the wall or turbulence setting something that prevents COMSOL from finding an unique solution

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I cannot do much ,as it seems that you have some issues with the turbulent flow set-up and CDF is not my speciality, if I play with laminar flow sometimes, I extremely seldom run turbulent flow, as this is a speciality of its own. Newertheless a few comments: Mesh: no need to use a minimum mesh size larger than the maximum, that should be made mode consistent You need a wall boundary on all no-slip wall, this is not the case, try using the default COMSOL physics induced mesh as starting point I would leave the outflow so your temperature might follow the fluid flow. It could also be your equations that are triggering the error, but the way I read it you are missing somewhere on the wall or turbulence setting something that prevents COMSOL from finding an unique solution -- Good luck Ivar

Pavan Kumar Penumakala

Posted: 1 decade ago 16 juin 2012, 09:42 UTC−4
Hello Mr.Ivar

i found that i need to add a source term in the governing equations of Turblent KE and Turbulent KE dissipation...

while solving CC in model libarary , to dampen the velocity in ths solid region source term F is used.
now in turblence equation to dampen the turblent KE generation and KE dissipation in the solid region..
i want to use similar kind of source term in the governing equations of k and e.

rho*u*div k = ...........+.......+....+....+Fk
rho*u*div e = ...........+.......+....+....+Fe

where Fk and Fe are the terms to add in governing equations of k and e..
how can i d o it..i am trying to use weak contribution but not succesful..

Fk and Fe are similar to Fr an dFz in CC prsent in model library
Fr and Fz are added in navier stokes ..
i need Fk and Fe to add in k and e equations..

can you please suggest how to do that

i know that i am solving a highly nonliner problem and my system is crying to get the solution..

please suggest the better solver steps to get the solution faster with desired accuracy
Hello Mr.Ivar i found that i need to add a source term in the governing equations of Turblent KE and Turbulent KE dissipation... while solving CC in model libarary , to dampen the velocity in ths solid region source term F is used. now in turblence equation to dampen the turblent KE generation and KE dissipation in the solid region.. i want to use similar kind of source term in the governing equations of k and e. rho*u*div k = ...........+.......+....+....+Fk rho*u*div e = ...........+.......+....+....+Fe where Fk and Fe are the terms to add in governing equations of k and e.. how can i d o it..i am trying to use weak contribution but not succesful.. Fk and Fe are similar to Fr an dFz in CC prsent in model library Fr and Fz are added in navier stokes .. i need Fk and Fe to add in k and e equations.. can you please suggest how to do that i know that i am solving a highly nonliner problem and my system is crying to get the solution.. please suggest the better solver steps to get the solution faster with desired accuracy

Posted: 1 decade ago 22 juil. 2012, 17:07 UTC−4
Dear Pavan
I know it might be off the topic, but what is the CC that you refer to? I need to add a stress tensor to NS but unsuccessful .
Awaiting for your reply
Thanks in advance
Ahmed
Dear Pavan I know it might be off the topic, but what is the CC that you refer to? I need to add a stress tensor to NS but unsuccessful . Awaiting for your reply Thanks in advance Ahmed

Pavan Kumar Penumakala

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 juil. 2012, 05:55 UTC−4
Dear ahmed
CC mean the continuous casting example given in the model library...
heat trasnfer>processand manufacturing>continuous casting

Dear ahmed CC mean the continuous casting example given in the model library... heat trasnfer>processand manufacturing>continuous casting

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.