Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Geometrical help for extrude operation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone, I need a help regarding the extrude operation of an imported geometry. Please see the attached image which is a boundary/surface I've extrated from a solid object. Now I would like to extrude the surface by 0.2mm and make a solid object. I've tried with extrude function in 5.6 version, but as I can't select the surface as a face, the operation doesn't work. Can anyone please help me to do this by thinkening the surface by 0.2mm (from an imported geometry).

Thanks in advance. Best regards, Chironjeet

2 Replies Last Post 10 juin 2021, 21:11 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 3 years ago 10 juin 2021, 10:54 UTC−4
Updated: 3 years ago 10 juin 2021, 15:25 UTC−4

Hello Chironjeet,

Are you trying to turn this surface into a pipe with a wall that has a thickness of 0.2mm?

If so, in COMSOL lingo it is not an extrusion, but rather a "thickening" operation. Look for "Thicken" in the GUI. Please note that this functionality is part of the optional Design Module. You can check whether your license includes that product through the File > Licensed and Used Products menu. If your license does not include that product, please contact your COMSOL representative. If you do have the Design Module, then Thicken will be one of the Conversions available in the dropdown menu that appear when you right-click on the Geometry node in the Model Builder.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Chironjeet, Are you trying to turn this surface into a pipe with a wall that has a thickness of 0.2mm? If so, in COMSOL lingo it is not an extrusion, but rather a "thickening" operation. Look for "Thicken" in the GUI. Please note that this functionality is part of the optional [Design Module](https://www.comsol.com/design-module). You can check whether your license includes that product through the File > Licensed and Used Products menu. If your license does not include that product, please [contact your COMSOL representative](https://www.comsol.com/contact). If you do have the Design Module, then Thicken will be one of the Conversions available in the dropdown menu that appear when you right-click on the Geometry node in the Model Builder. Best regards, Jeff

Posted: 3 years ago 10 juin 2021, 21:11 UTC−4

Hi Jeff, Thanks, I'm pleased to have your reply. Yes, I'm trying this surface into a pipe with a wall thicknes of 0.2mm and I attepted for "Thicken" operation but received the error message - 'Operation not supported on virtual geometry'. As I said, this is an imported geometry, lets say a stl file but I've converted this to a geometry as a surface. You may ask, why I'm not using COMSOL genetrated circular pipe but the answer is, I need to use the organic shaped object with wall thickness of 0.2-10mm. Could you please help me with the solution for that?

Many thanks. Chironjeet

Hi Jeff, Thanks, I'm pleased to have your reply. Yes, I'm trying this surface into a pipe with a wall thicknes of 0.2mm and I attepted for "Thicken" operation but received the error message - 'Operation not supported on virtual geometry'. As I said, this is an imported geometry, lets say a stl file but I've converted this to a geometry as a surface. You may ask, why I'm not using COMSOL genetrated circular pipe but the answer is, I need to use the organic shaped object with wall thickness of 0.2-10mm. Could you please help me with the solution for that? Many thanks. Chironjeet

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.