Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Sound velocity for piezoelectric materials in Comsol

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I'm doing some simulations in Comsol, concerning a SAW filter,made by using some IDT (inter-digitated transducers).

Does any of you know how I can find out what sound velocity the simulator considers?
Am I right to assume that, in case I "build" a new material, the sound velocity will be the one for air, ~340m/s?
I need this in order to know where to look for proper characteristics.
I saw there is a property of the material that allows me to modify it. Will Comsol consider the new value
for simulating the device? Or I need to do some other modifications?

For the moment I am using GaN as a piezoelectric material, but I would appreciate if you know where
I could find the values of the sound velocity considered by Comsol.

Thank you,

Catalin BOTEZATU.

1 Reply Last Post 23 juil. 2012, 11:27 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 23 juil. 2012, 11:27 UTC−4
Sound velocity is not a material parameter in COMSOL, it results from the elastic properties and density. And it also depends on geometry and on the mode you excite. Longitudinal waves are faster than transverse waves.

You can edit the material parameters.

Cheers
Edgar
Sound velocity is not a material parameter in COMSOL, it results from the elastic properties and density. And it also depends on geometry and on the mode you excite. Longitudinal waves are faster than transverse waves. You can edit the material parameters. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.