Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Difference between reaction rate expression and equilibrium constant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone.

I am working on the Transport of Diluted Species in Porous Media (tds) module and i have introduced an equilibrium reaction node. In the window of equilibrium reaction, I am defining the Keq (equilibrium constant) and stoichiometric coefficients only. These reactions are contributing the 'Ri' part in the mass balance equation, which is reaction rate expression with units (mol/m^3 *s).

My question is how COMSOL calculates the reaction rates (Ri) although the reactions are equilibrium reactions.

Also, I have 4 chemical reaction (equilibrium) with 6 species how is the system of equations is complete?

Thank you in advance.

the mass balance equation is. █(∂/(∂t ) (ϕc_i )+∇⋅J_i+q⋅∇c_i = R_i

1 Reply Last Post 1 août 2022, 06:41 UTC−4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 years ago 1 août 2022, 06:41 UTC−4

I have always failed to use equilibrium reactions in my models. Instead, I define an arbitrary high forward reaction rate constant (kf) and use the equilibrium constant K to define the backward rate constant (kb).

K = kf/kb --> kb = kf/K

This converges, not equilibria.

Lasse

I have always failed to use equilibrium reactions in my models. Instead, I define an arbitrary high forward reaction rate constant (kf) and use the equilibrium constant K to define the backward rate constant (kb). K = kf/kb --> kb = kf/K This converges, not equilibria. Lasse

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.