Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to give radial displacement to a rigid line in a Axisymmetric analysis?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi Everyone! In my model I want to simulate a rolling operation in a axisymmetric analysis. To represent roller I use a rigid line and then want to give a radial displacement to it ( This methodology used by some people in Ansys). In COMSOL model if I take the line then I am unable to give it rigid domain physics. And If I take rectangle of very small thickness to represent line and give it to rigid domain, then I not find any option to give it a radial displacement.

Please give me suggestions how to do it? If you need some more detail information then inform me. Thanks Shyam

2 Replies Last Post 30 sept. 2022, 06:13 UTC−4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago 30 sept. 2022, 03:59 UTC−4

A rigid object cannot be moved radially, since its volume would then increase (it represents a volume of rotation). That is not consistent with being rigid.

You can apply a prescribed displacement in the radial direction, but maybe you need contact conditions?

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
A rigid object cannot be moved radially, since its volume would then increase (it represents a volume of rotation). That is not consistent with being rigid. You can apply a prescribed displacement in the radial direction, but maybe you need contact conditions?

Posted: 1 year ago 30 sept. 2022, 06:13 UTC−4

Thanks for your reply.

You can apply a prescribed displacement in the radial direction, but maybe you need contact conditions?

Is this with respect to rigid domain?

Yes I applied contact conditions but unable to give prescribed displacment in radial direction.

I agree with your first sentence.

Thanks very much. Shyam

Thanks for your reply. You can apply a prescribed displacement in the radial direction, but maybe you need contact conditions? Is this with respect to rigid domain? Yes I applied contact conditions but unable to give prescribed displacment in radial direction. I agree with your first sentence. Thanks very much. Shyam

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.