Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

depth in 2D fluid structure interaction

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all-

I am trying to model a microvalve using a 2D fluid structure interaction interface. The models seems to run just fine, but all of my displacements are off, as there doesn't seem to be a way to define the depth (into the plane) of the structures. When using the solid mechanics interface, this option is available, but I can't find it in the fsi interface.

It appears that the interface assumed a 1m depth, and the result is that the stiffness of the structures is off by several orders of magnitude.

Has anyone else figured out a way around this?

Thanks!
Kamala

1 Reply Last Post 7 sept. 2012, 16:14 UTC−4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 sept. 2012, 16:14 UTC−4
Hi

have you checked the units ? the default 1 [m] implies variables "per meter" so you need to normalise them manually by multiplying them by your true depth, if you cannot define the depth explicitely.

In structural you can define it and COSOl just multiplies all relevant results by this depth for you.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked the units ? the default 1 [m] implies variables "per meter" so you need to normalise them manually by multiplying them by your true depth, if you cannot define the depth explicitely. In structural you can define it and COSOl just multiplies all relevant results by this depth for you. -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.