Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using Arrow volume to find electric field everywhere in RF Module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am trying to simulate a dipole antenna inside of an apparatus with two electromagnets. . I am using the RF module and running an adpative frequency sweep experiment on the antenna. I want to find the magnitude and polarization of the electric field radiated by the antenna everywhere inside the apparatus. I tried doing this by adding an arrow volume plot to a 3D plot group. I chose to plot emw.Ex, emw.Ey, and emw.Ez but I only see field lines on the antenna and on the far field boundry. I also tried plotting the far field electric field but that only gave me the field on the far field sphere. Is there anyway to plot the polarization and intensity of the antenna radiation everywhere inside the far field sphere? I don't understand why the electric field is only present on boundries. I might be misunderstanding what emw.Ex, emw.Ey, and emw.Ez represent. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies Last Post 24 août 2023, 13:25 UTC−4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 months ago 23 août 2023, 19:02 UTC−4
Updated: 8 months ago 23 août 2023, 19:01 UTC−4
  1. emw.Ex, emw.Ey, and emw.Ez are local-volume (i.e., in the meshed FE computational space) field values. They are not computed far-field values.
  2. The far-field "sphere" as you call it, is at r=infinity. The software scales computed field values so that they are non-zero. But bear in mind that there is no physical "far-field sphere," although you can define a spherical surface (which is not necessary!) and plot the far-field on it (and again, I generally don't recommend doing that, since there are better ways, included in the post-processing tools, to plot far-field quantities).
  3. Based on your pictures, it seems to me that the electric field is not limited to being "only present on boundaries." I think you can find it all over the place, if you choose different settings for your arrow plots. I encourage you to experiment with setting the "arrow length" for example.
-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
1. emw.Ex, emw.Ey, and emw.Ez are local-volume (i.e., in the meshed FE computational space) field values. They are not computed far-field values. 2. The far-field "sphere" as you call it, is at r=infinity. The software scales computed field values so that they are non-zero. But bear in mind that there is no physical "far-field sphere," although you can define a spherical surface (which is *not* necessary!) and plot the far-field on it (and again, I generally don't recommend doing that, since there are better ways, included in the post-processing tools, to plot far-field quantities). 3. Based on your pictures, it seems to me that the electric field is not limited to being "only present on boundaries." I think you can find it all over the place, if you choose different settings for your arrow plots. I encourage you to experiment with setting the "arrow length" for example.

Posted: 8 months ago 24 août 2023, 13:25 UTC−4
Updated: 8 months ago 24 août 2023, 14:16 UTC−4

Hello Robert,

Thank you for the clarification! I was able to get it to work by clicking show hidden entities under the 3D plot group settings.

Hello Robert, Thank you for the clarification! I was able to get it to work by clicking show hidden entities under the 3D plot group settings.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.