Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Helicoidal geometry

Carlos Perez de la Blanca Castellano

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everybody,

I would like to know how to create an helix along a cone surface (3D)?

I want an helix determinated according to the cone shape.

Thanks

6 Replies Last Post 29 août 2019, 16:07 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 nov. 2012, 08:13 UTC−5
Carlos,

why not use the built in helix geometry and define axial and radial pitch according to the cone angle?

Cheers
Edgar
Carlos, why not use the built in helix geometry and define axial and radial pitch according to the cone angle? Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 nov. 2012, 08:43 UTC−5

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for your reply and help!

I have tried what you have just told me but I do not find the correct relation among cone angle- radial pitch....the helix "cut" the cone while it grows up.

My cone angle is 30º....how do you suggest me to do it??

Thanks!!
Hi Edgar, Thanks for your reply and help! I have tried what you have just told me but I do not find the correct relation among cone angle- radial pitch....the helix "cut" the cone while it grows up. My cone angle is 30º....how do you suggest me to do it?? Thanks!!

Posted: 1 decade ago 26 nov. 2012, 09:21 UTC−5
I think it should be like:

I tried it and it works perfectly. The centerline of the helix is exactly on the cone surface.

Cheers
Edgar
I think it should be like: [math] \frac{radial pitch} {axial pitch} = -tan30 [/math] I tried it and it works perfectly. The centerline of the helix is exactly on the cone surface. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago 27 nov. 2012, 06:23 UTC−5

Thanks Edgar!!!

It works perfectly....I was doing something wrong!

Thanks Edgar!!! It works perfectly....I was doing something wrong!

Posted: 1 decade ago 28 nov. 2012, 11:03 UTC−5

Edgar,

I would like to create an helix, but not with a circle.

I mean, I would like another shape created by me (similar to a triangle) and then, develop the helix.

I have tried with REVOLVE, but I only achieve a revolution instead of an helix.

Thanks in advance!!!
Edgar, I would like to create an helix, but not with a circle. I mean, I would like another shape created by me (similar to a triangle) and then, develop the helix. I have tried with REVOLVE, but I only achieve a revolution instead of an helix. Thanks in advance!!!

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago 29 août 2019, 16:07 UTC−4
Updated: 5 years ago 3 sept. 2019, 13:12 UTC−4

Too late for Carlos, but for future readers of this thread: you can sweep any shape along a curve, so by using a helix (created with a parametric curve) as that curve you can generate the helix you want.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Too late for Carlos, but for future readers of this thread: you can sweep any shape along a curve, so by using a helix (created with a parametric curve) as that curve you can generate the helix you want. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.