Confused by the 3 velocity components in a 2d domain.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am new to comsol and I am trying to solve a multi-phase viscoelastic flow on a two dimensional domain. I am a bit confused by the fact that when I add the 2D space dimension, and select the viscoelastic flow module, I get 3 velocity components instead of two. Is this normal or there is an error? I am using comsol 6.1.

2 Replies Last Post 31 janv. 2024, 10:22 UTC−5
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 months ago 30 janv. 2024, 09:19 UTC−5
Updated: 3 months ago 30 janv. 2024, 09:19 UTC−5

A calulation in a 2D space does not preclude a vector solution with a non-zero component of that vector perpendicular to the plane. Consider, for example, if you were modeling fluid flow in a long pipe oriented along the z-direction, and your model was in the x-y plane. Solving for would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
A calulation in a 2D space does not preclude a vector solution with a non-zero component of that vector perpendicular to the plane. Consider, for example, if you were modeling fluid flow in a long pipe oriented along the z-direction, and your model was in the x-y plane. Solving for v_{z}(x,y) would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Posted: 3 months ago 31 janv. 2024, 10:22 UTC−5
Updated: 3 months ago 31 janv. 2024, 10:11 UTC−5

Thanks a lot. I don't know what I was thinking. :)

Thanks a lot. I don't know what I was thinking. :)

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.