Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Maxwell Surface Stress Tensor

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I'm trying to calculate the magnetic attraction force between two objects in COMSOL 4.3a, by using Maxwell Stress Tensor.

I found four possible Maxwell functions to calculate the force:

Maxwell upward surface stress tensor,
Maxwell downward surface stress tensor,
Maxwell upward magnetic surface stress tensor and
Maxwell downward magnetic surface stress tensor.

Please can anyone tell me what is the difference between them?
Thank you.

1 Reply Last Post 10 déc. 2012, 07:47 UTC−5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 10 déc. 2012, 07:47 UTC−5
Hi

up and down are w.r.t the domain (up = outwards, down = into a domain)
But to get the forces it's best to use the domain Force node that defines the equations for you
And then to check the equations COMSOL uses internally (turn on the equation view in the preferences)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi up and down are w.r.t the domain (up = outwards, down = into a domain) But to get the forces it's best to use the domain Force node that defines the equations for you And then to check the equations COMSOL uses internally (turn on the equation view in the preferences) -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.