Out of plane band structure

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am doing simulation regarding band diagram in phonic crystal by using comsol. I am facing a problem while doing simulation.

I know band structure of in-plane mode can be calculated by not ticking the box of out-of-plane mode extension under the 2D approximation setting in solid mechanics section (you can see the attached picture). However, when it comes to out-of-plane mode for phononic crystals, unlike photonic crystal simultation where in-plane or out-of-plane mode can be separatly calculated simply by ticking the corresponding option, it requires me to fill in wave number Kz if I tick the box of out-of-plane, which I don't know what should be filled in. I assume that ticking the box does not mean it only calculates the out-of-plane mode, so I'm so confused about how to calculate the band strucuture of out-of-plane mode. Could you please help me through the procedures to obtain the band strucuture of out-of-plane mode by using Comsol ?

I'm looking forward to your response.

0 Replies Last Post 8 mars 2024, 00:25 UTC−5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Tanuj Gupta

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.