Topology optimization for resonator membrane

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to get a topology optimization to work for my model. I am using the Membrane Interface and want to use topology optimization with an eigenfrequency study to optimize for a high quality factor. Basically I want Comsol to shape the membrane between the outer ring attached to substrate and a central defect. The attached png highlights the area I want to change the geometry for.

The study runs but ends just after one cycle and I can't figure out what exactly I am missing.

Things I suspect:

1. I am trying to use a density based optimization here whereas the membrane is like a 2D boundary so maybe that doesn't work somehow

2. I might have to somehow include a stationary study step but I wouldn't be sure how that can be tied into the optimization. I read that the Helmholtz filter in the density model might need a stationary solver.

I would be very grateful for any pointers.

Sincerely, Benedikt Gregor

0 Replies Last Post 19 mars 2024, 23:07 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Benedikt Gregor

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.