Change Thickness in 2D models

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

See my attached drawing for a visual description of my question: I have a simple 2D model of two rectangles. Lets say I set a thickness in Solid Mechanics (1m) but then use Change Thickness to change the blue rectangle to 1.5m. Will this add 0.25m to the thickness into the plane and 0.25m to the thickness out of the plane, thus keeping the orange rectangle centered in the out-of-plane dimension (figure A)? or will it add 0.5m to the thickness out of the plane so that the backside of both rectangles are aligned (figure B)?

1 Reply Last Post 8 mai 2024, 11:48 UTC−4
Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 2 weeks ago 8 mai 2024, 11:48 UTC−4

Hi Joe,

Since you are solving the model in 2D, Figure A and Figure B are mathematically the same. It seems like you should use 3D.

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hi Joe, Since you are solving the model in 2D, Figure A and Figure B are mathematically the same. It seems like you should use 3D. Jeff

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.