Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mode analysis for 2D slab waveguide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, Everyone,

I am new for using comsol, and firstly I built a easy model to learn.
It is a 2D slab waveguide (see attached ).

By mode analysis, I found the effective mode index obtained by comsol is different with the value obtained by analytical solution.
In comsol mode, the infinite direction is set as PBC with continuity.

I appreciate you can give me some help.

Regards
Marvin

6 Replies Last Post 26 déc. 2016, 00:36 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 21 févr. 2013, 15:12 UTC−5
you can be more specific.

what result are you getting? what were you expecting?

attaching the mph file also helps to help.

cheers,
Felipe BM
you can be more specific. what result are you getting? what were you expecting? attaching the mph file also helps to help. cheers, Felipe BM

Posted: 7 years ago 9 déc. 2016, 09:14 UTC−5
Hi
I am also facing the same problem. I am using 2D slab waveguide with core 3.47 refractive index and cladding region is of 1.45 value. Comsol simulation shows smaller effective index value than what I have analytically calculated. I don't know why I am getting this smaller effective index value.
Thank you in advance.
Hi I am also facing the same problem. I am using 2D slab waveguide with core 3.47 refractive index and cladding region is of 1.45 value. Comsol simulation shows smaller effective index value than what I have analytically calculated. I don't know why I am getting this smaller effective index value. Thank you in advance.

Posted: 7 years ago 9 déc. 2016, 10:58 UTC−5
Have you tried by increasing the resolution of your mesh?
Have you tried by increasing the resolution of your mesh?

Posted: 7 years ago 10 déc. 2016, 03:18 UTC−5
Hello
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have tried even smaller mesh size but I am not getting the expected result. I have tried different dimensions of my waveguide, different mesh sizes but unfortunately not getting the same value as I have obtained by analytical analysis.
Hello Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have tried even smaller mesh size but I am not getting the expected result. I have tried different dimensions of my waveguide, different mesh sizes but unfortunately not getting the same value as I have obtained by analytical analysis.

Posted: 7 years ago 16 déc. 2016, 11:44 UTC−5
Hi..

I think problem is that you have search for mode around value is lower than your lowest refractive index.

The value of search for mode around should be between the higher refractive index and lower refractive index.

Study>>>Mode analysis>>>Study setting>>>Search for mode around>>>>insert value 3.47.

Also, check mode analysis frequency>>>c_const/1550[nm] or direct frequency (Your operating Frequency or wavelength).

May it works.
Hi.. I think problem is that you have search for mode around value is lower than your lowest refractive index. The value of search for mode around should be between the higher refractive index and lower refractive index. Study>>>Mode analysis>>>Study setting>>>Search for mode around>>>>insert value 3.47. Also, check mode analysis frequency>>>c_const/1550[nm] or direct frequency (Your operating Frequency or wavelength). May it works.

Posted: 7 years ago 26 déc. 2016, 00:36 UTC−5
Hello all
Yes I have entered refractive index value to be find as 3.47 and search for mode around option. Now I am concluded after all the experiments that when I am taking small dimensional waveguide it is showing effective index value near to 3.3 but when I am increasing my waveguide dimension its effective index starts decreasing. So may be our device dimension also play an important role in finding effective index value.
Hello all Yes I have entered refractive index value to be find as 3.47 and search for mode around option. Now I am concluded after all the experiments that when I am taking small dimensional waveguide it is showing effective index value near to 3.3 but when I am increasing my waveguide dimension its effective index starts decreasing. So may be our device dimension also play an important role in finding effective index value.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.