Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2 Separate Stranded Coils in Multi-Turn Coil Domain

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I have 2 separate stranded coils to be modeled for transient behavior (Current Pulse input). Since these coils are not of regular shape (linear or Circular), i had to go with numeric coil type in multi-turn coil domain.
Now i want these coils to be connected in series but not geometrically but in physics calculations hence i had taken 2 multi-turn coil domains and gave 2 separate inputs by electric circuit coupling. In 3D Multi-Coil domain calculations of "numeric type", it is necessary to add "Coil Current Calculation" step before going for transient solution to let the solver perform eigenvalue analysis hence gets the current direction.

Confusion here is :

Should i add 2 different "Coil Current Calculation" steps before transient study step ?
because if i do that it gives an error saying, "multiple threads not allowed" and also i can't work only with one "Coil Current Calculation" step because each multi-turn coil domain has a unique coil name, which is to be mentioned in "Coil Current Calculation" step.

I will be really very thankful if anybody could help me in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

Mohit Singhal
Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
India

3 Replies Last Post 4 déc. 2013, 06:13 UTC−5

Posted: 1 decade ago 2 avr. 2013, 13:56 UTC−4
Hello Mohit,

If you define the two coils separately and give them unique names, then I think you should add the two Coil Current Calculation Step before the Solver to compute the inputs for the model.

The exmaple in the following link will be very helpful
ACDC_Module/Other_Industrial_Applications/ecore_transformer

Regards and all the best
Wanjiku
Hello Mohit, If you define the two coils separately and give them unique names, then I think you should add the two Coil Current Calculation Step before the Solver to compute the inputs for the model. The exmaple in the following link will be very helpful ACDC_Module/Other_Industrial_Applications/ecore_transformer Regards and all the best Wanjiku

Posted: 1 decade ago 30 sept. 2013, 11:26 UTC−4
Hello Mohit

Did Wanjiku's response was helpfull for you?, I mean did it worked for you to put two current calculation steps and then solve for the magnetic vector potential?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel David Franco

LNDC-UFRJ
Hello Mohit Did Wanjiku's response was helpfull for you?, I mean did it worked for you to put two current calculation steps and then solve for the magnetic vector potential? Thanks in advance. Daniel David Franco LNDC-UFRJ

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 déc. 2013, 06:13 UTC−5
hi john
this e core example in two windings but my problem is one more coils add this transformer how these extra winding are connected in transformer.
plz help me ............john!
hi john this e core example in two windings but my problem is one more coils add this transformer how these extra winding are connected in transformer. plz help me ............john!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.