Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Solve es problem first, then solve emw problem using the result.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

In the past I've always just used one physics. Now I want to add two physics domains and am having trouble.

Basically I want to:
(1) First: solve for the electric field between two non-flat electrodes using "es" (Electrostatics)
(2) Then: feed that final result into the second simulation, which uses electric field at each point to determine refractive index at that point -- and then solves an RF problem with that refractive index map, using "emw".

The "emw" problem is a Mode Analysis problem.

So, I do #1 above and get my electric field distribution. Then I right click on Model1 > Add Physics > Electromagnetic Waves (emw) > ...

But, at this point, I cannot select Mode Analysis! It is not there! Instead I only have the following options:
- Boundary Mode Analysis
- Eigenfrequency
- Frequency Domain
- Frequency Domain Modal
- Small signal analysis, frequency domain.

Mode Analysis usually shows up in this menu. The reason I want mode analysis is - I want to simulate the mode profile of light inside a waveguide.

Below this the two physics are listed with a "Solve For" column. If I deactivate the "es" (Electrostatics) physics in the Solve For column, then I see Mode Analysis appear above. But I do want to solve for both - just solve for one (es), then feed it into the other (emw).

An example is attached.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Replies Last Post 5 juin 2013, 19:37 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello David Hutchison

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.