Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Acoustic Analysis 6dB drop not observed

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am modeling a simple membrane in free space using the Acoustic-Structure interaction. The membrane is fixed at the edge and driven on the bottom surface. The membrane is 40 mm diameter and 19 um thick. I have modeled a 3d symmetry model and have also tried the 2d axi-symmetry model. There are two models, one with the membrane by itself and the other the membrane sitting on a baffle. The outermost boundary is modeled as infinite using radiation condition. I am looking at the SPL at certain distances from the membrane as a result of a harmonic analysis.
For the model with the membrane on the baffle, I am observing an expected 6 dB drop in the SPL with doubling of distance. When I remove the baffle, the SPL drops 12 dB, which I cannot explain. Can anyone point out the error in the model or the modeling scheme?

Thanks,
Mihir

2 Replies Last Post 3 mai 2011, 12:41 UTC−4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Mihir Shetye

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 mai 2011, 05:03 UTC−4
Hello

I also have a similiar problem only difference is I have a plate instead of a membrane.

For me there is also a exactly 6 dB difference between teory and simulation in all points did you solve the problem ?

Best Regards

Mustafa
Hello I also have a similiar problem only difference is I have a plate instead of a membrane. For me there is also a exactly 6 dB difference between teory and simulation in all points did you solve the problem ? Best Regards Mustafa

Posted: 1 decade ago 3 mai 2011, 12:41 UTC−4
Hi Mustafa,

I think the problem is with the domain not being perfectly infinite. One of the things that I did was to completely separate the front and the back domains i.e. create the model of the membrane with the baffle. Then create the air domains on the front and back separately starting from the end of the baffle. This way the only interaction between front and back is through the membrane. This seemed to help my model and now I see a 6 dB drop as expected.

Try it and let me know if it works.

Mihir
Hi Mustafa, I think the problem is with the domain not being perfectly infinite. One of the things that I did was to completely separate the front and the back domains i.e. create the model of the membrane with the baffle. Then create the air domains on the front and back separately starting from the end of the baffle. This way the only interaction between front and back is through the membrane. This seemed to help my model and now I see a 6 dB drop as expected. Try it and let me know if it works. Mihir

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.