Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Time- and space-dependent interpolation from data file?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm using COMSOL 3.5a. I have a 1D domain and have written my PDEs using the transient diffusion mode from the model navigator.

I wish to create an interpolation function of experimental time-course data using the (Options->Function) tool.

My input file is set up with three columns - a schematic example with a domain length 2:

% time/s x/cm conc/mM
0 0 1
0 1 1
0 2 1
1 0 1
1 1 1.5
1 2 2

I need to create a function conc(x,t) that I can use in my PDEs. However, the Options->Function wizard only seems to allow functions of x (or other spatial dimensions) but not of time.

Is there a way to interpolate from data in a time-dependent manner?

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

5 Replies Last Post 12 juil. 2010, 10:55 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 7 avr. 2010, 16:01 UTC−4
Bump.

Still an open question. Any helpful hints?
Bump. Still an open question. Any helpful hints?

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 avr. 2010, 09:12 UTC−4
Hi

if I make a .txt file of this type:

% x y conc
0 0 1
0 1 1
0 2 1
1 0 1
1 1 1.5
1 2 2
2 2 2.5
2 2 3.5
2 3 4

I generate a function conc(x,y) where x,y are just placeholders for any variable name

I can then call "conc(t,x)" in a "Postprocessing - Domain Plot Parameter - Line" call either as multiple plots over time with "x" my 1D dimension defined as x-axis variable, or as vertical spread lines showing the min max and extent over time (expression for x-axis) for x_start <= x <= x_end of my 1D sub-domain line going from x_start to x_end

but you need to use x,y,z at most as (dummy) variable name for the function file first line and then followed by the function name that should not contain .-,/+*"&$[]...

hope this helps
Ivar
Hi if I make a .txt file of this type: % x y conc 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 2 1 1 0 1 1 1 1.5 1 2 2 2 2 2.5 2 2 3.5 2 3 4 ... I generate a function conc(x,y) where x,y are just placeholders for any variable name I can then call "conc(t,x)" in a "Postprocessing - Domain Plot Parameter - Line" call either as multiple plots over time with "x" my 1D dimension defined as x-axis variable, or as vertical spread lines showing the min max and extent over time (expression for x-axis) for x_start

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 avr. 2010, 11:09 UTC−4
Thanks for the feedback Ivar.

You suggested the following approach,
I generate a function conc(x,y) where x,y are just placeholders for any variable name

I can then call "conc(t,x)" in a "Postprocessing - Domain Plot Parameter - Line" call either as multiple plots over time with "x" my 1D dimension defined as x-axis variable, or as vertical spread lines showing the min max and extent over time (expression for x-axis) for x_start <= x <= x_end of my 1D sub-domain line going from x_start to x_end
However, I need to clarify something. Beyond plotting data, I need to be able to hand this function to the solver as a term in my PDEs,

da/dt = f( a(x), conc(t,x) ).

For a static distribution over the x dimension, this requires clicking the "Use space coordinates as default function arguments" in the Functions dialog box to get conc(x). This doesn't work if I use one of the other spatial dimension variables as a placeholder for time.

Also, I may need to generalize this to a full spatial model where I interpolate from data to generate a function conc(t,x,y,z). Is there a way to create such a function that can be used by the solver?

Thanks again!
Thanks for the feedback Ivar. You suggested the following approach, [QUOTE]I generate a function conc(x,y) where x,y are just placeholders for any variable name I can then call "conc(t,x)" in a "Postprocessing - Domain Plot Parameter - Line" call either as multiple plots over time with "x" my 1D dimension defined as x-axis variable, or as vertical spread lines showing the min max and extent over time (expression for x-axis) for x_start

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 avr. 2010, 15:07 UTC−4
Hi

There must certainly be, but I must admit I have never tried, but I see the utility. In Matlab you certainly can adapt things easier, but inside the GUI's only, I cannot tell like that. I would have to tweak and try it out myself, and just now I'm stuck on missing general force/torque loads in 3D structural so I'm rather locked on my (paid) job.

Anyhow, for the methodology, I would start trying out on a very simple case with 2-4 input points, in 1,2 then 3 coordinates, and a very simple example first

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi There must certainly be, but I must admit I have never tried, but I see the utility. In Matlab you certainly can adapt things easier, but inside the GUI's only, I cannot tell like that. I would have to tweak and try it out myself, and just now I'm stuck on missing general force/torque loads in 3D structural so I'm rather locked on my (paid) job. Anyhow, for the methodology, I would start trying out on a very simple case with 2-4 input points, in 1,2 then 3 coordinates, and a very simple example first Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 12 juil. 2010, 10:55 UTC−4
Some days ago, I had a problem similar to the one of James: i.e set a time dependent mechanical BC using a time-dependent interpolation of data.
In particular, in my problem I had to assing an acceleration in a certain point of a body and perform a time-domain simulation.
By default Comsol 3.5a (that's the software version I have employed), in several mechanical modules allows to set displacements and not accelerations.

I have solved such a problem in the following way:

- import the data in tabular form (one column is the physical quantity, the other is time) in Comsol
- call this function "data" (this will be, by default, a function of the type "f(x)")
- setup a global equation where the function "data" is written as "data(t)", where t is the usual time variable.

In this way the software "understands" that the independent variable is a time and not a space.

I hope this helps.

Some days ago, I had a problem similar to the one of James: i.e set a time dependent mechanical BC using a time-dependent interpolation of data. In particular, in my problem I had to assing an acceleration in a certain point of a body and perform a time-domain simulation. By default Comsol 3.5a (that's the software version I have employed), in several mechanical modules allows to set displacements and not accelerations. I have solved such a problem in the following way: - import the data in tabular form (one column is the physical quantity, the other is time) in Comsol - call this function "data" (this will be, by default, a function of the type "f(x)") - setup a global equation where the function "data" is written as "data(t)", where t is the usual time variable. In this way the software "understands" that the independent variable is a time and not a space. I hope this helps.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.