Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

generating flow internally

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to model a closed, recirculating flow chamber, similar to a real one that we have built in our lab. In real life, the flow is generated by a propeller that resides inside the closed chamber (see photo). The dynamics of the propeller are not important, so I just need to generate water movement in one part of the chamber (bottom, tube section) so I can observe the fluid behavior in another (top, rectangular section).

I have included my rough draft of the COMSOL model. I haven't closed the loop yet and am currently powering the flow with an inlet and outlet surface. I would like to close the chamber and power it from the inside.

Is there an example of some sort of internal pump that I might use as an example? I didn't see one in the library and the solutions I'm employing don't seem physically realistic.

Many thanks

2 Replies Last Post 13 juin 2014, 11:39 UTC−4

Posted: 10 years ago 13 juin 2014, 10:19 UTC−4
Hi,

Here is modified version from your model. I closed loop and added "internal fan". Check if this is what you are looking for.

Best regards

Tero Hietanen
Hi, Here is modified version from your model. I closed loop and added "internal fan". Check if this is what you are looking for. Best regards Tero Hietanen

Posted: 10 years ago 13 juin 2014, 11:39 UTC−4
Tero Hietanen - A heartfelt thank-you for your efforts, this is perfect. I also appreciate the other "tweaks" that you added to the model. I am learning a lot.
Tero Hietanen - A heartfelt thank-you for your efforts, this is perfect. I also appreciate the other "tweaks" that you added to the model. I am learning a lot.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.