Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Navier Stokes equation with periodic boundary?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I want to model flow in an open stream over repeating streambed geometry (sinusoidal geometry of ripples). My background is to use the calculated pressures on the streambed for further modelling in porous media.

I use Navier-Stokes equation with slip-bc on top (open water) and streambed, inflow velocity as left bc, and constant pressure value as outflow boundary on the right side.
The model runs quite good, but I’m searching for a solution where the pressure and velocity field over one ripple is equal to any other ripple in the system. That means a periodic pressure distribution for an “infinite” long streambed is necessary.

I tried it with periodic bc, with right bc as source and left as destination, but there was no change in the pressure distribution. But I’m not sure if a periodic bc is the right application for this.
Are there any other possibilities?

Find my model attached.

Thanks for your help,

Nico

7 Replies Last Post 14 juin 2017, 06:59 UTC−4

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 juin 2010, 08:27 UTC−4
You have to set the same velocity profile on both inlet and outlet and then set for example a pressure on the lower left and right corner. The pressure difference decide the velocity and the pairing make it to a continous flow.
You have to set the same velocity profile on both inlet and outlet and then set for example a pressure on the lower left and right corner. The pressure difference decide the velocity and the pairing make it to a continous flow.

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 juin 2010, 08:40 UTC−4
I have to correct myself. I have done a similar model before. You are right at setting periodic boundary condition but you have outlet as source and inlet as destination. For p you set p as a source and p+dp as destination but for other parameters source and destination are the same. dp then decide the velocity.
I have to correct myself. I have done a similar model before. You are right at setting periodic boundary condition but you have outlet as source and inlet as destination. For p you set p as a source and p+dp as destination but for other parameters source and destination are the same. dp then decide the velocity.

Posted: 1 decade ago 4 juin 2010, 09:36 UTC−4
Thanks for your help!

One more question: Do I have to define dp by myself or is there any automatic determination?

Regards,

Nico

Thanks for your help! One more question: Do I have to define dp by myself or is there any automatic determination? Regards, Nico

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 5 juin 2010, 10:02 UTC−4
Hi

for me I would try "noslip" on the bottom "riple" surface, as I beleive this is more realistic, and open (no visquaos stress or f=p0=1[atm] for the top surface, for me it converges better.

And define p0=1[atm] in your constant and use that in the BC. Jut as well plot p-p0 (or perhaps use a gauge pressure of 0[atm]) to get the pressure changes

you have a Reynolds number up to 38000 too

Then your inlet velocity is interacting with the slip/noslip ripple surface boundary condition. I would rather use an average velocity or a volumic/surface density velocity, by having COMSOL defining the velocity distribution itself, only restraining the integral (or average) of the velocity over the inlet edge/surface

Finally, why not have periodic boundary conditions, I believe it should work too, but I'm always suspicious about those, so I like to simulate two periods (as you have) and I split the volume vertically in the middle to compare the natural continuity boundary in the middle of my simulation with the expected identical boundary variable at the periodic boundary, have a try.

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi for me I would try "noslip" on the bottom "riple" surface, as I beleive this is more realistic, and open (no visquaos stress or f=p0=1[atm] for the top surface, for me it converges better. And define p0=1[atm] in your constant and use that in the BC. Jut as well plot p-p0 (or perhaps use a gauge pressure of 0[atm]) to get the pressure changes you have a Reynolds number up to 38000 too Then your inlet velocity is interacting with the slip/noslip ripple surface boundary condition. I would rather use an average velocity or a volumic/surface density velocity, by having COMSOL defining the velocity distribution itself, only restraining the integral (or average) of the velocity over the inlet edge/surface Finally, why not have periodic boundary conditions, I believe it should work too, but I'm always suspicious about those, so I like to simulate two periods (as you have) and I split the volume vertically in the middle to compare the natural continuity boundary in the middle of my simulation with the expected identical boundary variable at the periodic boundary, have a try. Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 juin 2010, 10:14 UTC−4
Hi Ivar,
thanks for your helpful hints. Another question, what do you mean with
I would rather use an average velocity or a volumic/surface density velocity, by having COMSOL defining the velocity distribution itself, only restraining the integral (or average) of the velocity over the inlet edge/surface

Do you think of a fixed pressure value on the boundary/edge or an Inlet velocity value, 0.5 m/s for example?

Thanks again for your help,
Nico

Hi Ivar, thanks for your helpful hints. Another question, what do you mean with [Quote]I would rather use an average velocity or a volumic/surface density velocity, by having COMSOL defining the velocity distribution itself, only restraining the integral (or average) of the velocity over the inlet edge/surface [/QUOTE] Do you think of a fixed pressure value on the boundary/edge or an Inlet velocity value, 0.5 m/s for example? Thanks again for your help, Nico

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 8 juin 2010, 10:34 UTC−4
Hi

I have tried out different sequences for "fun" in V3.5a. I come to that if you enter (as input and output) a velocity profile as a Vx_ave*sqrt(2.24*(y-Y0)/length), where y is the vertical coordinate of the inflow edge (I was in 2D) Y0 the lower vertex where I expect Vx_ave=0 and length is the total inlet edge length, and the 2.24 is just to make the integrated value equal to the average, and then I pass over 5 identical ripples, I notice that my velocity profile is rather nice and periodic (if you exclude the inlet and outlet boundaries.

I noted that with "s" I got some funny velocity profil shapes, it does not seem to run from 0 to 1 ?

For this I also set the inlet pressure top vertex to p=p0=1[atm] and an initial value of the pressure to p0, and velocity initial condition Vx=Vx_ave. My Reynolds cell number wvere also more compliant with what I expected

Howevever, I failed to set up a "periodoc boundary condition" So obviosly , its easier to run over a few periodes of "ripples", and let the system stabilise. You can always then extract the velocity profile via a extrusion coupling variable into another geoemtry

Hope this helps
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I have tried out different sequences for "fun" in V3.5a. I come to that if you enter (as input and output) a velocity profile as a Vx_ave*sqrt(2.24*(y-Y0)/length), where y is the vertical coordinate of the inflow edge (I was in 2D) Y0 the lower vertex where I expect Vx_ave=0 and length is the total inlet edge length, and the 2.24 is just to make the integrated value equal to the average, and then I pass over 5 identical ripples, I notice that my velocity profile is rather nice and periodic (if you exclude the inlet and outlet boundaries. I noted that with "s" I got some funny velocity profil shapes, it does not seem to run from 0 to 1 ? For this I also set the inlet pressure top vertex to p=p0=1[atm] and an initial value of the pressure to p0, and velocity initial condition Vx=Vx_ave. My Reynolds cell number wvere also more compliant with what I expected Howevever, I failed to set up a "periodoc boundary condition" So obviosly , its easier to run over a few periodes of "ripples", and let the system stabilise. You can always then extract the velocity profile via a extrusion coupling variable into another geoemtry Hope this helps Good luck Ivar

Posted: 7 years ago 14 juin 2017, 06:59 UTC−4
Updated: 7 years ago 14 juin 2017, 07:05 UTC−4
Hi
Im using a periodic flow in my Bc for a cube of porous medium sized 1.4 um the time of study is about 4 h and i didnt find the optimal mesh im worry that im wrong ! plz help me im in internship and still 1 month to finish the project!
the velocity field curve along a line is shown here
sorry but when i try to upload a file it says 'extension error ' pdf
Hi Im using a periodic flow in my Bc for a cube of porous medium sized 1.4 um the time of study is about 4 h and i didnt find the optimal mesh im worry that im wrong ! plz help me im in internship and still 1 month to finish the project! the velocity field curve along a line is shown here sorry but when i try to upload a file it says 'extension error ' pdf

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.